Alternative for hydraulic toplink on pto cement mixer?

/ Alternative for hydraulic toplink on pto cement mixer? #1  

mikefromnh

Gold Member
I have a small (cheap) stand alone cement mixer for the occasional sono-tube or other odd job. Problem is has plastic gears that strip to easily.

I want to replace it with three point mixer like this:

King Kutter 3-Pt. Cement Mixer, Model# CM-U | Cement Mixers | Northern Tool + Equipment

It appears to a SA hydraulic toplink. My tractor does not have rear remotes. I know I could add them or use a line to the FEL. But the mixer is only used a few times a year for small projects -- I want something that I can quickly grab and use.

So I am looking for an alternative to the toplink. Would something like this hydraulic ram jack work (if I could find one the right size?)

Torin Long Ram Hydraulic Jack 3-Ton, Model# T30306 | Long Ram Jacks | Northern Tool + Equipment

Or anyone have a better idea? I know I should just add the remotes, but I'm holding out until the wife approves a bigger tractor.

/ Alternative for hydraulic toplink on pto cement mixer? #2  
A jack would require some invention to use. My original mixer came with a one way cylinder. It pulls the mixer back up and falls by gravity,
Maybe you could squeeze a come along in there, If there is not enough room maybe you could anchor it the the bucket up front. Now that I said that Mabe the bucket curl would have enough motion along with up and down to move the mixer up and down with a rope or cable or chain. Watch the paint though.

/ Alternative for hydraulic toplink on pto cement mixer? #3  
Could you use your loader remotes for this occasional task? Consider converting the bucket dump loop into a quick connect arrangement, then use that loop for mixer when necessary.
Mike

/ Alternative for hydraulic toplink on pto cement mixer? #4  
How much force is needed to lower/hold/raise the mixer? Could you use electric actuator?

I think Mikeineburg has the right answer. Quick disconnects on the loader curl and some long hoses. Quick and easy hook-up for occasional use.

If you really wanted to get fancy, put a double diverter valve (like this) in the curl loop. Then you could switch back and fourth from loader to mixer quickly without changing hoses.

/ Alternative for hydraulic toplink on pto cement mixer? #5  
For the price of one long hose that will reach the QD's for your loader and a QD nipple I think you are going through a LOT of work...

/ Alternative for hydraulic toplink on pto cement mixer?
Thanks for the responses.

If I were to hook this to loaders curl circuit, would I need a double acting cylinder?

If not -- how would I hook it up?

Thanks

/ Alternative for hydraulic toplink on pto cement mixer? #7  
Thanks for the responses.

If I were to hook this to loaders curl circuit, would I need a double acting cylinder?

If not -- how would I hook it up?

Thanks

You can just use the SA cylinder...Unplug both loader lines, and plug the mixer's hose into only one QD, When you operate the joystick to dump the mixer the hydraulic system will go into "relief" because it cant send fluid OUT of the port that has nothing plugged in, but the cylinder will retract and no harm will be done to the system because of the short time it will be in relief.

The same will happen with rear remote unless you plumbed in a special valve for SA cylinders.

/ Alternative for hydraulic toplink on pto cement mixer? #8  
Another way to do this is with a SA cylinder, and connect a valve to the rod end port, with a tube going to the reservoir. Once the rod side of the cylinder is full of fluid, and valve closed off, and the cement mixer at rest on the ground, when you lift the 3ph, the cement mixer should maintain level. When you want to dump, turn the valve to release the fluid in the rod side of the cylinder back to reservoir, and the cylinder will extend and dump the mixer. To auto-refill the rod end of the cylinder, a rod touching the mixer frame will push it back level when lowering , drawing fluid from reservoir, then close the valve. and repeat the mixing /dump cycle.

This would be similar to the skid bucket on the 3ph, except the latch is activated by the bucket using the ground to close the latch. and you pull the latch to dump skid bucket.

Could use a DA cyl for this.

Could work, maybe.

/ Alternative for hydraulic toplink on pto cement mixer? #9  
I use the SA cylinder method on my 1/3 yd PTO mixer. But, you will need some return force cause the drum won't want to return if its pouring too fast for you. I used a garage door spring to remind it where home position is.

/ Alternative for hydraulic toplink on pto cement mixer? #10  

I have the Mixer80 in your link. (BTW, it is made in Italy and sold by many
companies....AgriSupply has it for hundreds less than Northern.)

It comes with the SA cylinder, which works poorly. I converted to a
DA and I have mixed many many cubic yards over the years with this mixer
on 2 Kubotas, then on my Kioti.

I just converted from PTO drive to hydraulic drive and used it for the first
time that way yesterday.

As Kenny states, you can use a DA valve to operate an SA cylinder....I
did it that way before I switched to a DA cyl. Using the FEL bkt curl valve
and a long hose is the cheapest way to go if you do not want to add
an AUX valve to the rear.