Alternatives to Canopy

/ Alternatives to Canopy #1  

monkeybreath

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3410
While I am resting from trying to figure out if I have learned too much here to ever be able to be happy with any tractor I can afford, I turn my thoughts to what I will want to add to it after I get it. I looked at a canopy or two while visiting dealers, but it seemed they were pretty proud of them - to the extent of $390 or so. I can certainly appreciate why having one would be nice - we all like to work in the shade - but it also seemed that a custom umbrella clamped to the ROPS in some fashion would do almost as well for those hot summer days, as an expensive canopy. I am not talking about the typical umbrella we may have under the car seat, but something a bit bigger - I have even seen a clamp on beach umprella. I am sure there are some downsides to doing it this way, but maybe there is already something out there - a canvas canopy, clamp on umbrella, or . . . of course there is already the "hat" but I don't like to wear hats.

/ Alternatives to Canopy #2  
I tried a umbrella for a very short time once but that didn't work very well. The big Oliver I used for hay work didn't have a ROPS, but had a fabric canopy or umbrella with a framework mounted to the fenders. It wasn't too bad. Of course the owner tore it off twice going under trees. My advice would be to spend the money and get a good canopy. They're usually bigger and provide more shade, plus as you can see in the attached picture, you gotta have a place to mount your tiltmeters, rear view mirror, and front and rear work lights. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif This one cost $295 when I bought it with the tractor in 1999.

Attachments

• 286442-Bird&Kutoba.jpg
    286442-Bird&Kutoba.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 878
   / Alternatives to Canopy
Well, Bird, that sure looks nice . I think you have convinced me. The image in my head of an umbrella clamped to ROPS in some fashion vs what your picture shows sort of settles it for me. Now I can move on to some other folly -

/ Alternatives to Canopy #4  
You can buy a canvas umbrella at a heavy machinery dealer that sells rollers. We had one we used on my brothers roller when i worked for him. Dad just bought a nice buggy type convertible canopy for he 3000 Yanmar. It was about 145.00 at TSC i think. It installs in about 45 minutes. It looks like it will work with the rops im building for it to.

/ Alternatives to Canopy #6  
Bird,

Is that canopy you had fiberglass or metal? Do you recall the brand? Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Alternatives to Canopy #7  
Gary, if you do a search on "Wells Ag Company" you'll find I've posted information about my canopy lots of times; I've yet to see one I liked any better than that one. Mine was steel; the choices being steel painted to match the tractor or unpainted diamond plate aluminum for the same price. It was made by Wells Ag Company, 617 S. McLennan Drive, Elm Mott, TX 76640, (254) 829-2822. At least a couple of other members on the forum also have their canopies. They only sell through dealers, but said if anyone wants one of their canopies, to ask your tractor dealer to call them.

/ Alternatives to Canopy #8  
Bird, could that be a few gallons of Chevron Delo 15w40 in the backgraound? Anyway, that's a great looking canopy. Do you know if they offered any that pivot back and slide down, if'n ya don't want it for awhile?

/ Alternatives to Canopy #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Chevron Delo 15w40 in the backgraound? )</font>

Yep, empties I hadn't thrown away yet. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( any that pivot back and slide down )</font>

Not that I know of.

/ Alternatives to Canopy #10  
I ty-wrapped an inch and a half pvc pipe to the top of one of my ROP uprights and dropped a 4 dollar umbrella (48 inch) into the pipe. Everything was great until I took off and the wind got under the umbrella. I caught it about 300 feet from where I stopped the tractor. Once I ty-wrapped the umbrella to the pipe I was all set. After about 20 minutes of gratifying shade (while leaning into the 12 inch area that had shade), I went too close to a branch and ripped it off, not completely just enough that I had to hold it up while I drove back to get cutters.The ty-wraps were too strong for me to break. I figure a big brimmed hat will have to do me while I contemplate the 300 dollar move.