Aluminum vs. Cast Iron as tractor components in CUTS and SCUTS?

/ Aluminum vs. Cast Iron as tractor components in CUTS and SCUTS? #31  
My ego.....you're funny, dont flatter yourself.

Im not an engineer building tractors. So I dont have a definitive answer. But I doubt longevity is one of them.

Cars go hundreds of thousands of miles on aluminum engines. Not sure which is cheaper to make.....aluminum does cost more even if its easier to MFG. But for the auto world, aluminum is lighter. And it conducts heat better. In turn, other stuff can be made lighter / smaller. And in the auto world, every pound counts for emissions and fuel economy to appease uncle sam.

Tractors have none of those concerns. Weight is not a factor. And often times, the engine / oil pan are also doubling as frame tying front and rear axles together.

How many of those cars have aluminum cranks, rods, cyl sleeves or camshafts ?

/ Aluminum vs. Cast Iron as tractor components in CUTS and SCUTS? #35  
Aluminum engine blocks were introduced to improve fuel economy. That’s it. Old enough to remember the Chevrolet Vega, the first mass produced hypereutectic high silicon content linerless aluminum block. An engine that has gone down in infamy. Needing to pursue aluminum to meet fuel economy standards, the fall back has been cast in cast iron liners in aluminum blocks. Foreign manufacturers like BMW, Mercedes, Toyota and Honda have led the development back perfecting the linerless block. But that is how companies will use extreme measures to meet requirements. Aluminum is less costly to produce in high quantities if one can afford die molds because there is little or no machining but die casting is difficult to perfect as getting aluminum to flow in large dies without leaving porosity pockets is difficult. Porosity equals weak spots. Aluminum alloys are excellent in their place. Tractor transmission cases pretty iffy. I think about the rough use on my transmission housing from my back blade in winter when I hit frozen junk. I’ve ripped my King Kutter Professional back blade apart but my Kubota case has hung in. My welding is improving with use keeping the KK going. I’ve wondered if a JD could survive but neighbors with one are unwilling to let me see. Of course weight sucks - can they cast a depleted uranium housing for density to get me more weight? My aluminum body 2015 F-150 has dings only in the rear bumper. The aluminum hood on my 2008 BMW had less damage from hail than the steel roof but it was impossible for my body man to get those dings out while the roof repaired easily. Aluminum body panels are heat treated after forming so they are quite stiff in finished form.

/ Aluminum vs. Cast Iron as tractor components in CUTS and SCUTS? #36  
None of you guys remember the Chevy VEGA!!??
I must be the only old guy here,, I guess,,

"Vega's aluminum engine was notorious for buckling and leaking."[51]
Development and upgrades continued throughout the car's seven-year production run, addressing its engine and cost-related issues"

Chevrolet Vega - Wikipedia

/ Aluminum vs. Cast Iron as tractor components in CUTS and SCUTS? #37  
All technology and manufacturing methods start somewhere. I’m not a fan of aluminum structural tractor components. But comparing them to a Vega block designed 40 or so years ago is foolish. And yes, I owned a Vega, drove it from NY to CA and back and for 50,000 miles all told.

/ Aluminum vs. Cast Iron as tractor components in CUTS and SCUTS? #38  
None of you guys remember the Chevy VEGA!!??
I must be the only old guy here,, I guess,,
I bought a bran new one in 1973, first car I ever had with air conditioning!!

SR

/ Aluminum vs. Cast Iron as tractor components in CUTS and SCUTS? #39  
If aluminum was so great in tractor, being lighter in all, farmers would be putting helium in their tires to help out instead of beet juice. I am sure there are lots of applications where having a dainty tractor would be best. Just like if ethenol was great, farmers would sell their diesel steeds and run the corn juice.

/ Aluminum vs. Cast Iron as tractor components in CUTS and SCUTS? #40  
I don't see strength as being the issue. The aerospace industry can make alloy castings that would put some iron ones to shame. But at what cost?

I bet you can make a really cheap iron casting that could be pretty strong but not an alloy one.