Buying Advice Am I fooling myself into needing(wanting) a Scut??

/ Am I fooling myself into needing(wanting) a Scut?? #1  

Kyle87

Tractor
None
Hello! I am in the process of purchasing a 1.57 cleared parcel in Poughkeepsie NY, between nyc and Albany. The land is clear and pretty flat, no trees. Basically a small field. We intended to build a new house here for our growing family (just got married 12/31).

I will need to bring in full material, create some drainage swails, cut a driveway and possibly dig a septic and 4 foot footings for the foundation. In addition to taking care of the land, landscaping etc post construction.

I know you cannot attest to my ability, and the dirt, but am I fooling myself thinking I can save money by doing these tasks with a tlb with the added benefit of a midmount mower for use later on? I received a quote for an ls mt125 tlb with mmm (see I already got some of the lingo down haha) for 16,500 delivered to my door. Based on all the things Ive been reading and watching this machine seems capable and a good price. A kubota bx with loader back hoe and mower was about 24k.

I dont have an ls dealer VERY close but there are two within an hour. I have a jd dealer within walking distance and a Kubota And swag Dealer not much further down the road.

Background about me, I致e e operated several different machines, truck trailer combos, ran a small mowing business on the side and have raced atv motocross which I just stopped doing. The house we have now I basically rebuilt myself and am pretty mechanical in terms of maintenance and repairs.

In comparison I have a friend with an excavating business. He said done some work for me at my current house and he gave me a price of 500 to bring his machine over to dig some test holes on the new lot, said it might take a couple hours to complete it. The land owner ended up having a midsize kubota at his farm and brought that over and dig the hole. With 0 percent down I can get one of my own machines for around 250 a month, as opposed to 500+ a day. However it will def take me longer to do the work he can do. Were not under a time crunch and the lot is 5 mins from my current house. I figure if I can source some full material I can be working on spreading that out, cutting in the driveway etc. over the course of time until we are ready to build.

Alternatively, with construction financing all of the excavation costs are built into that and I wouldnt have to worry about doing those things. I have a 4x4 quad w plow, pickup, trailer, snowblower, 36 walkbehind mower. Our current lot is .3 acres so were going to a 5 x bigger piece of land however still small in the grand scheme of it all.

Any thoughts, experiences, ideas etc are all welcome here and I thank you in advance !

/ Am I fooling myself into needing(wanting) a Scut?? #2  
SCUT is waaaay to small/lightweight for most of that work. You'll just be spinning tires trying to move that amount of dirt or will take ages to do.

Hire out the foundation footings, septic and driveway. It'll take any reasonable company a day or two for each and it'll be done on spec + if anything is wrong they're liable.

Having built a house from scratch on 5ac, hiring a good excavation company was one of the best decisions we made.

/ Am I fooling myself into needing(wanting) a Scut?? #3  
^^^^ I agree.

/ Am I fooling myself into needing(wanting) a Scut?? #4  
I received a quote for an ls mt125 tlb with mmm (see I already got some of the lingo down haha) for 16,500 delivered to my door.

That's pretty hard to beat, and kind of hard to believe unless it's a past year's model. Mine was $17200 for that base configuration.

But have the contractors do the digs, that way any liability or warranty/guarantee issues are on them.

Will you need the SCUT after the place is built? Only you can decide that. I've found a lot of uses for mine, but I have about 5-6 acres.

/ Am I fooling myself into needing(wanting) a Scut?? #5  
SCUT is waaaay too lightweight for most of that work. You'll just be spinning tires trying to move that amount of dirt or will take ages to do.

Hire out the foundation footings, septic and driveway. It'll take any reasonable company a day or two for each and it'll be done on spec + if anything is wrong they're liable.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
I concur.​

VIDEOS: Comparing Finish Mowers (midmount VS 3-point) - Kubota B261 - YouTube

Is the Kubota BX188 enough tractor for you? - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Am I fooling myself into needing(wanting) a Scut?? #6  
I know a cesspool guy that broke his backhoe in half lifting a cesspool with a FULL SIZE tractor!.. and I don't think you could even dig a hole deep enough with the backhoe on a SCUT..

/ Am I fooling myself into needing(wanting) a Scut?? #7  
.. and I don't think you could even dig a hole deep enough with the backhoe on a SCUT..

The MT125 and similar sized models are rated for about 6.5' digging depth. I haven't tried to get deeper than 3' so far.

/ Am I fooling myself into needing(wanting) a Scut?? #8  
I'm still building my house but only interior remaining. When I saw that the bid for the excavation was 18% of the total, I nearly had a kitten! HOWEVER, after watching the whole process, I think the guy may have short-changed himself. Granted, I'm on a heavily wooded slope, but excavation is a big deal.

/ Am I fooling myself into needing(wanting) a Scut?? #9  
   / Am I fooling myself into needing(wanting) a Scut?? #10  
A Scut is no comparison to an excavator. I think you would be wasting your time trying to do any major excavation with it. That being said could you use it for other projects/maintenance on the property and cleaning up after the big guys are done?

I know what my answer is!!!:thumbsup: