am I nuts for wanting a 6115D?

/ am I nuts for wanting a 6115D? #1  

brucew44guns

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 630
I have inherited a few bucks that make possible a cash deal on a dream tractor. I love power, like deecnt size, versatility, resale value. I have 155 acres, included are 100 acres leased to a farmer for wheat. The balance is about 40 useable acres of pasture, pond, woods, the rest is gullys or unuseable for much of anything land. The pasture is in bad shape for weeds, but have been working on them, and I do intend to take back the pasture for cows of my own.
Right now, I am leaning toward a JD 6115D. Cab and MFWD, and I want a 673loader on it. Wheel weights, extending connections on the rear arms, air seat, brush guard, nice radio, and joy stick with grapple attachment. It will have 38 inch rubber, and larger than standard fronts. The tractor will be more of a luxury, than a real need, I could make do with a lot less, in fact have looked at the MF 2680, nice tractor there too and maybe 15K less money. The JD is about 58K upon initial shopping. I'm 66, good health, and will have hopefully several years of using such a fine machine. BUT----you guys are thre wise men, am I nuts to do this? There are smaller tractors that will work fine, last long, and be a blessing as well. Times are hard, money is precious, and I keep asking myself do I really need a Cadillac instead of a nice Chevy? Tell me your heart. I'll listen.

/ am I nuts for wanting a 6115D? #2  
That would be a nice tractor for 155 acres, but I don't know if you've allowed yourself to buy any implements. I would determine what implements you need, cattle facilities, buying cattle etc., price everything out and then determine how much tractor you can buy. I would buy a bigger used tractor versus a smaller new tractor and then all the implements you need (new or used) and have everything you need to operate properly.

/ am I nuts for wanting a 6115D? #3  
I'm a bit of a novice but that seems like overkill to me unless you were going to do serious farming.

A Massey in the 1650 series would do all you want and for the $58k you could acquire all the implements wanted.

/ am I nuts for wanting a 6115D? #4  
I have had a few larger tractors (Deere 4020, 3020 and Case 1370) in this size range and feel the 6115 is about right for your acreage. I am not sure if I would buy that exact model or not but it is reasonably priced with a value package. You should be able to purchase it for atleast 10% off msrp, and as mentioned consider the implements too.

I would think it compares in size and hp closely with a 4020, my favorite tractor.:thumbsup: It really isn't that big it is just that everyone is accustomed to these midget CUT's now.:D If you have a CUT already a 6115 would be a great help for the larger jobs. Whether you should buy one is up to you.;)

EDIT I see you have a 630 which was a good 50 hp tractor but after 50 years I think you are due for something new.

Last edited:
   / am I nuts for wanting a 6115D? #5  
There are smaller tractors that will work fine, last long, and be a blessing as well. Times are hard, money is precious, and I keep asking myself do I really need a Cadillac instead of a nice Chevy? Tell me your heart. I'll listen.

1. Buy what you want? Are you an optimist? Things will get better:)
2. Buy what you need? Are you a pessimist? Things will get worse:confused2:

Only you can answer this question, because only you know all the facts.

If you can afford it - It's never too late to have a great childhood - buy what you want. If we all just bought what we needed - Cadillac would be out of business.

/ am I nuts for wanting a 6115D? #6  
I have inherited a few bucks that make possible a cash deal on a dream tractor. I love power, like deecnt size, versatility, resale value. I have 155 acres, included are 100 acres leased to a farmer for wheat. The balance is about 40 useable acres of pasture, pond, woods, the rest is gullys or unuseable for much of anything land. The pasture is in bad shape for weeds, but have been working on them, and I do intend to take back the pasture for cows of my own.
Right now, I am leaning toward a JD 6115D. Cab and MFWD, and I want a 673loader on it. Wheel weights, extending connections on the rear arms, air seat, brush guard, nice radio, and joy stick with grapple attachment. It will have 38 inch rubber, and larger than standard fronts. The tractor will be more of a luxury, than a real need, I could make do with a lot less, in fact have looked at the MF 2680, nice tractor there too and maybe 15K less money. The JD is about 58K upon initial shopping. I'm 66, good health, and will have hopefully several years of using such a fine machine. BUT----you guys are thre wise men, am I nuts to do this? There are smaller tractors that will work fine, last long, and be a blessing as well. Times are hard, money is precious, and I keep asking myself do I really need a Cadillac instead of a nice Chevy? Tell me your heart. I'll listen.

Might be a good buy because its 0% for 36 months.

/ am I nuts for wanting a 6115D? #7  
If you're going for a dream tractor, why not go for a 30 series premium tractor. Lots of comfort with bells and whistles.

/ am I nuts for wanting a 6115D? #8  
Did you ever buy a 6115D? We just bought one yesterday, it will be shipped sometime next week.

/ am I nuts for wanting a 6115D? #9  
If you're going for a dream tractor, why not go for a 30 series premium tractor. Lots of comfort with bells and whistles.

I second that :thumbsup: 6430, still add the 673 loader or maybe the new H series loaders

/ am I nuts for wanting a 6115D? #10  
Did you ever buy a 6115D? We just bought one yesterday, it will be shipped sometime next week.

Congrats, sdsigdestad on your new tractor! :thumbsup: And welcome to TBN. Pierpont, huh? Is that over by Ipswich? You guys are pretty hilly with grazing and cattle, no? What are you gonna be using that 6115D for?

AKfish

Got family and relatives in Reliance and Iona, SD. Mostly cows and hay.