Amazing Find.............a Drag Harrow

/ Amazing Find.............a Drag Harrow #1  

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
I was checking out another Amco disc when I stumbled across a fork lift pallet with a pile of harrow and a spreader pipe on it. I inquired on the price and got them down to $500 for this 10 foot drag harrow. Only thing wrong with it, besides being used is the spreader pipe has been left in the dirt and has major rust pockets on the bottom side. Otherwise the harrow works well...........even being pulled in reverse with it attached to my loader bucket! Anyway, I'm ready for those discing jobs now!
hugs, Brandi
4-22-13 Drag Harrow Side View.jpg4-22-13 Drag Harrow.jpg

/ Amazing Find.............a Drag Harrow #2  
Great find and exactly what you need. Congrat on the true grit in getting what you want.

I have one of those and also use it to de-thatch my lawn.

/ Amazing Find.............a Drag Harrow
Great find and exactly what you need. Congrat on the true grit in getting what you want.

I have one of those and also use it to de-thatch my lawn.

Sixdogs,
Thanks! It sure collects the sticks! Should I hook it up behind the disc for the first pass, or wait and hook it up before the second pass?
hugs, Brandi

/ Amazing Find.............a Drag Harrow #4  
Have to do the trial and error thing. Yes, it does collect sticks and stuff so works best in plain dirt.
You can use it three directions. Tines down forward for aggressive cutting. Reverse unit with tines down for less aggressive and smooth side down for smoothing and distribution.

/ Amazing Find.............a Drag Harrow #5  
When I disc, I pull my drag harrow behind me all the time. It helps level out the low spots and break up the clods on each pass. They do pick up a bunch of trash don't they!!! If we only had a device mounted on the disc to lift it up(the harrow) and clear that trash, it would be perfect

/ Amazing Find.............a Drag Harrow #6  
While I think the drag harrows work very well I find the 3ph spike harrows do a good job without the headaches. I built this harrow and used it to smooth and cover seed yesterday on three acres. Material cost was $250 so cheap enough imo.

Attachments

• 3pt harrow 8' 006.jpg
    3pt harrow 8' 006.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 1,586
  • 3pt harrow 8' 005.jpg
    3pt harrow 8' 005.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 4,098
   / Amazing Find.............a Drag Harrow #7  
While I think the drag harrows work very well I find the 3ph spike harrows do a good job without the headaches. I built this harrow and used it to smooth and cover seed yesterday on three acres. Material cost was $250 so cheap enough imo.

Nice job! She could probably also pull it with chain behind her disc or drop the disc and use it on the 3pt. in tighter places.

Thanks Sixdogs and Gary. Armstrong Ag makes a 3PH carrier for the drag harrow.
hugs, Brandi

Very nice build, Jenkinsph. But your rig would require another pass....AFTER all discing is done with 3PH arms installed. Another pass over 7 or more acres is not in my plans.
hugs, Brandi

Ron, a chain runs from the spreader pipe (bar) to a single ring to pull. One hole drilled in the back of my disc and one clevis and it is ready to roll. No 3PH arms installed right now. Remember, it's a pain to R&R those arms for the BH. They'll be going on soon, so I can use the brush hog.
hugs, Brandi