Amazon created a concrete shortage

/ Amazon created a concrete shortage #1  

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
Our county commissioners approved the building of an Amazon fulfillment center against all the protests from their constituents. We already have more jobs than workers and they taut the need for more jobs in their decision.

Meanwhile we're in the midst of a building boom but the Amazon center is buying up all the local concrete. All slab home constrution has come to a standstill. Price of concrete went up and all the bids for slab construction have to be rebid.

/ Amazon created a concrete shortage #2  
Our county commissioners approved the building of an Amazon fulfillment center against all the protests from their constituents. We already have more jobs than workers and they taut the need for more jobs in their decision.

Meanwhile we're in the midst of a building boom but the Amazon center is buying up all the local concrete. All slab home constrution has come to a standstill. Price of concrete went up and all the bids for slab construction have to be rebid.
Sounds like American free enterprise to me. What would you prefer that county commissioners do? Deny a legitimate business from establishing in your area?

/ Amazon created a concrete shortage #4  
Sounds like American free enterprise to me. What would you prefer that county commissioners do? Deny a legitimate business from establishing in your area?
Exactly. If anything, Calming residential development is a better idea than stifling commercial expansion.
Residences consume far more services than their tax revenues pay for. Commercial development typically had a net positive effect on revenue/services.

/ Amazon created a concrete shortage #5  
I've seen a number of these Amazon warehouses in the north east region - probably in ten to fifteen years many of these will be abandoned shells......

/ Amazon created a concrete shortage
We'll see how you all feel about it when you can't get in to town from the increase in traffic.

It's all well and good till it stops construction on YOUR building or chokes the main passage to YOUR local business.

/ Amazon created a concrete shortage #8  
When my boss says "I can't find anyone to work" then I say "pay more".
I saw an article this morning that said the labor shortage is caused by early retirement in the 55+ crowd. I hope that works out for them. They look at the stock market and think they are well off, when stock prices are only real when you sell them. There might also be a mental shift, since the pandemic taught people they can live well without squandering their money on nonessentials.

/ Amazon created a concrete shortage #9  
I saw an article this morning that said the labor shortage is caused by early retirement in the 55+ crowd. I hope that works out for them. They look at the stock market and think they are well off, when stock prices are only real when you sell them. There might also be a mental shift, since the pandemic taught people they can live well without squandering their money on nonessentials.

A few people I know cashed in on their homes and vehicles. Even tractors. And of course, they have their portfolios.

They are all renting now, contemplating their next path in their lives.

/ Amazon created a concrete shortage #10  
Yeah, they will be the first vacant buildings anywhere in the country.
Already a problem with vacant Walmart stores. The Wals won't sell because they are afraid someone else will open a big box store, so there they sit, huge buildings surrounded by acres of asphalt parking lots.