Amsoil SVG 75W90?

/ Amsoil SVG 75W90? #1  

WilliamBos

Tractor
MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle
Ok, who on here is running it? Going to do the diffs in my truck, looks like it is the best stuff out there, and actually costs a lot less than Royal Purple.

/ Amsoil SVG 75W90? #2  
"looks like it is the best stuff out there" williamBos
wondering how you arrived at that observation....just asking :)

/ Amsoil SVG 75W90? #3  
It is pretty good. I have used it in my last three pickups. If I wasn't, I would probably go with Mobil 1 75w90 gear lube. It is a good product also. My semi truck diffs were factory filled with Mobil 1 75w90, the diff OEM upped the warranty from 500,000 miles to 750,000 miles just for using a synthetic in the diffs, and the OEM recommended drain interval is 500,000 miles, though I usually do it at 300,000 miles. So it is hard to argue that the Mobil 1 is not a great product also. But the Amsoil SVG 75w90 is also a great product. No complaints from my last 3 vehicles using it.

/ Amsoil SVG 75W90? #4  
I use it in all my vehicles diffs., been using it for years.

DEWFPO

/ Amsoil SVG 75W90? #5  
How can you really tell that one oil is better than the other? We don't do comparison testing using control groups. I use it and if the engine/diff/... does not burn up, it's good. I'm not disrespecting anyone or their experience or knowledge. My point is that a lot of extra money is spent on better oils or additives to extend the hardware a few more years. Does it really work???

Yes, I change my oil before I have to, and I use synthetic when I can, but am I getting any more value??

/ Amsoil SVG 75W90? #6  
I have never gotten into the gear lube oil technicalities. I do know this as fact.... on my commercial trucks, if one uses synthetic 75w90 in the diffs, the OEM of the diffs (Meritor, Eaton, etc) will up the warranty from 500,000 miles to 750,000 miles. A 50% increase in warranty just by using a quality synthetic gear lube. And they came with a factory fill of Mobil 1 75w90. So using that, I conclude the Mobil 1 is a solid product. As for using the Amsoil version, from the technical data sheets on the stuff, it seems pretty close to the Mobil 1 product.

We are not talking about having to mortgage the house to do differential lube oil changes. I would use a full synthetic. It will handle any heat issues better and is more resistant to oxidation and other concerns in a differential. Synthetics are more resistant to shearing under load than a conventional.

/ Amsoil SVG 75W90? #7  
I have never gotten into the gear lube oil technicalities. I do know this as fact.... on my commercial trucks, if one uses synthetic 75w90 in the diffs, the OEM of the diffs (Meritor, Eaton, etc) will up the warranty from 500,000 miles to 750,000 miles. A 50% increase in warranty just by using a quality synthetic gear lube. And they came with a factory fill of Mobil 1 75w90. So using that, I conclude the Mobil 1 is a solid product. As for using the Amsoil version, from the technical data sheets on the stuff, it seems pretty close to the Mobil 1 product.

That's a really strong argument for Mobil 1.

With my Dodges/Ram trucks and Jeep I think it's been more important to change the diff oil early and often, at least in the beginning, rather than to run it for as long as possible with oil that "might" be slightly better, like RP or Amzoil. The differentials have to break in and this puts a lot of ground up hardened steel in the oil. No matter how good the oil is, it is still going to break in and you are still circulating ground up steel through the bearings and gears, so it's better to get it out of there. On mine, early changes showed the oil to be black and shiny with steel in it, but after a few changes the wear stopped and after a much longer interval the oil comes out looking like the new stuff. My favorite is Valvoline 75w90 full synthetic because it's good oil and readily available. Mobil 1 may be even better. When the AAM differentials get older, they begin to need 75w140 in the limited slip.

/ Amsoil SVG 75W90? #8  
I have always changed out the factory fills early on in my vehicles. Usually within the first 5000 miles. Amazing the amount of filings and grit on the magnetic plugs from just the initial build. Then I go to OEM recommended drain intervals. I am not sure there is a right method for everyone, but that is the way I do things.