Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #51  
I have no doubt that Amsoil or Schaffers are good oils, but when I need a new suit I don't buy a "one size fits all", I have a taylor make one that fits exactly. i.e. Kubota oil in a Kubota.

Problem with your thinking.... Kubota doesn't make it's own oil. It is outsourced. Just like Honda brand oil... i have hauled a lot of Honda labeled oil from plant to distribution and Honda doesn't make their oil either. Same for Ford Motorcraft. Just because the OEM label is on the container doesn't mean it is the best thing going. It only means that it meets the minimum requirements and someone won the bid to make it.

And I would be willing to bet my retirement on the fact that whoever is producing Kubota's oil also produces products for a lot of other house brands. Did a little scrounging on the net and found references to Ashland as a the maker of Kubota's oils, at least the N. American variety. The same folks who make Valvoline and some other labels.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #52  
I have been using Amsoil products since the early '80's. Very pleased with the products in every case so far.
My B3030HSDC is my second hst tractor and is on its second change of Amsoil fluid in the transmission. Points I can make from my experience, vastly reduced whine from the transmission when working and flows well at very cold temperatures. Flow based on the hydraulics all working similarly to warm weather operation. My tractor cost close to $30,000 Canadian. Trying to save a few dollars on a fluid change doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #53  
I agree with the Amsoil. I have been using their ATH 5w30 in the HST trans on my Kioti DK50se and a Massey Ferguson with an HST. Huge diff in the cold flow characteristics. The HST is like the heart of the tractor. Pay now or pay later. A few extra dollars goes along way. Become a member of Amsoil and get 25% off plus free shipping at times.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #54  
If you put Amsoil in a Kubota will they still warranty the transmission? Does it meet their requirements?

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #55  
If you put Amsoil in a Kubota will they still warranty the transmission? Does it meet their requirements?

Yes, and yes.

Amsoil guarantees their products will not void your warranty. So, do many others.

Federal law also says, a manufacturer can specify requirements, and all you have to do is meet that spec. They cannot make you buy a specific product, or brand, for warranty coverage.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #56  
I put synthetic in my Mahindra 2015 this summer because it does get cold here in Wisconsin and it started sooo much easier so far this winter. I am thinking my next trans change will be synthetic also.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #57  
Problem with your thinking.... Kubota doesn't make it's own oil. It is outsourced. Just like Honda brand oil... i have hauled a lot of Honda labeled oil from plant to distribution and Honda doesn't make their oil either. Same for Ford Motorcraft. Just because the OEM label is on the container doesn't mean it is the best thing going. It only means that it meets the minimum requirements and someone won the bid to make it.

And I would be willing to bet my retirement on the fact that whoever is producing Kubota's oil also produces products for a lot of other house brands. Did a little scrounging on the net and found references to Ashland as a the maker of Kubota's oils, at least the N. American variety. The same folks who make Valvoline and some other labels.

It's true that Kubota, JD and probably any other manufacturer doesn't "make" their branded oil, BUT they do have an outside supplier make "their" oil to an exacting spec with certain additives. Similarly, Kubota and all other tractor manufacturers don't make thier tractors, many of the parts and assemblies are made by out source suppliers to their exact specs. They only put them together.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #58  
I have no doubt that Amsoil or Schaffers are good oils, but when I need a new suit I don't buy a "one size fits all", I have a taylor make one that fits exactly. i.e. Kubota oil in a Kubota.

do you do the same with your vehicles ? If you own a ford do you only use ford oil, if chevy, only chevy oil , etc, none of these oil brands make their own oil . chevy ford, etc, doesn't have an oil refinery

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #59  
Kubota provides the specs for it's SUDT2. I suspect NH does as well.

I talked to the Kubota Tech dept, they would not discuss SUDT only to state they have developed the specs and determined it is the best product for their HSTs. Also talked to Tech folks at Ashland and Valvoline. They will not discuss the product as it is proprietary to Kubota. They would not even state what if any of their products was equal. How about sharing your inside dope on the specs, I sure cannot find them.

I use a NAPA branded hydraulic fluid and can tell no difference in sound or performance between it and SUDT2 over a use period of 1500 Hrs.

Ron

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #60  
I talked to the Kubota Tech dept, they would not discuss SUDT only to state they have developed the specs and determined it is the best product for their HSTs. Also talked to Tech folks at Ashland and Valvoline. They will not discuss the product as it is proprietary to Kubota. They would not even state what if any of their products was equal. How about sharing your inside dope on the specs, I sure cannot find them.

I use a NAPA branded hydraulic fluid and can tell no difference in sound or performance between it and SUDT2 over a use period of 1500 Hrs.

Ron

I have used and compared SUDT2 and can say there sure seems to be a noticeable performance difference between it and other high grade oils in Kubota hydros and hydraulic shuttle shift Kubotas.. The only thing I can figure is the viscosity and that the SUDT2 is thinner so it flows better at cooler temps. I also think because it is synthetic and that has something to do with it. I don't know but do know it's good stuff from a performance standpoint.

But, I've only compared SUDT2, which is synthetic, to other non-synthetic oils because not many people make synthetic oils. I do think when synthetic oil becomes more available available it will equal Kubota oil but that's just beer talk on my part. Maybe that's why they are quiet on it? Anyway, I use SUDT2 in five gallon buckets in those Kubotas mentioned and regular oil in gear drive things and that works for me. Plus, I can easily buy it.

Besides, Kubota has been a stand-up company that defends it's owners on warranty issues that look sketchy, brings great stuff to the market and has fought the entire industry in earning market share and customer loyalty. Those corporate ideals and giving me marketplace choices previously denied are things I want to support with the few extra $$ involved here. I'm not product blind but they have made a "yuuge" difference in tractors and quality.

Last edited: