An All New Tacoma Being Announced Monday

/ An All New Tacoma Being Announced Monday #1  

Milo

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3520, Ferris Z2100, Kawasaki Mule Pro MX, Honda Pioneer 520
2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited: First Look - PickupTrucks.com News

My hunch is it won't be "all new" as Toyota is claiming but just substantially upgraded would be nice. At the top of my wish list would be;

Keep it about the same size (which it appears they have).

More fuel efficient engine and transmissions, manual as well as auto.

Heavier duty suspension so it doesn't bounce on it's bump stops carrying 6 bags of cement!

Rust resistant frame.

Stronger tailgate so it doesn't distort from loading an ATV or motorcycle. Lockable too.

Upgraded interior with more comfortable front seats.

Lever operated 4wd instead of the solenoid controlled, push button thing they use on SUV's.

And last but not least (even though it won't happen) for 4wd versions with transfer cases. 2wd Low.

/ An All New Tacoma Being Announced Monday #2  
They succeeded in making it impossible to add an aftermarket front bumper due to the fact that everything is integrated.

/ An All New Tacoma Being Announced Monday #3  
/shrug

Looks okay to me. I bought a Tacoma because it was the best 1/4t pickup being sold that year; several domestic manufacturers not building any 1/4 ton pickups at all.

/ An All New Tacoma Being Announced Monday #4  
The real release will be the 12th with the Nissan Titan. Putting a Cummins in it with some real power.

Chris

/ An All New Tacoma Being Announced Monday #5  
They need to get away from that composite bed. It sounds good in theory but that was one of the things I hated to death about my Tacoma. Hopefully they'll release with all new engines, especially a diesel. Maybe even a manual transmission with the diesel.

/ An All New Tacoma Being Announced Monday #6  
Wanted a mini 4 wheeler when I was young and missed the Toy by a couple of months. Bought a Datsun . You could watch both disappear due to rust in Toledo Ohio.

/ An All New Tacoma Being Announced Monday #7  
2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited: First Look - PickupTrucks.com News

My hunch is it won't be "all new" as Toyota is claiming but just substantially upgraded would be nice. At the top of my wish list would be;

Heavier duty suspension so it doesn't bounce on it's bump stops carrying 6 bags of cement!

Rust resistant frame.

Stronger tailgate so it doesn't distort from loading an ATV or motorcycle. Lockable too.

Lever operated 4wd instead of the solenoid controlled, push button thing they use on SUV's.

And last but not least (even though it won't happen) for 4wd versions with transfer cases. 2wd Low.

The only thing that will do that is a 4 cyl diesel (or possibly an Eco Boost type engine) . Something I think GM will beat them to in the small truck category, unless they have kept it a huge secret. Nissan is still on the fence for the Frontier but the Titan is already announced with the Cummins, so Toyota has some catching up to do.

The only thing competing with diesels in MPG is hybrids and they don't come close in power. The few that do approach the power (like BMW hybrids) don't have near the mileage numbers, more like 30 mpg hwy, vs 45+ for the diesels.

If there isn't a diesel then the only possibility is like I mentioned, an Eco Boost type engine like a small 4 cyl. I have never been impressed with small truck mileage numbers. If they get 20 mpg it's something to brag about. For crying out loud, my manual shift 1975 Datsun barely got 20 mpg hwy, and that was with a little 2.0 L inline 4, with an empty truck, except me. My daughter had a 2008 Tacoma, and it got 17-18 hwy.

My 3/4 ton diesel gets a combined 17.2 and almost 19 hwy on winter blend. Summer jumps up another 1 mpg on both.

/ An All New Tacoma Being Announced Monday #8  
My 2007 Tacoma is a 2dr, 2wd, standard with a fiberglass cap on the back and I average 25-28 mpg.
That's includes occasionally pulling my 5x10 utility trailer.
I've even got 30 mpg on a couple of long non stop trips.
Glad to see they're beefing up the tailgate.

/ An All New Tacoma Being Announced Monday

Rust resistant frame.

Kudos to Toyota! All new Direct Injection, Atkinson cycle. 3.5 V6 which should be much more efficient. Also new frame using high strength steel, new auto and manual transmissions, new diffs and transfer case, new suspension, body, and interior. Almost an entire new truck except it looks like the same plastic bed though.

Toyota introduces 2016 Tacoma with Atkinson cycle V6 and improved transmission - Fresno Car Buying | Examiner.com

/ An All New Tacoma Being Announced Monday #10  
I have never been impressed with small truck mileage numbers. If they get 20 mpg it's
something to brag about. For crying out loud, my manual shift 1975 Datsun barely got 20 mpg hwy, and that was
with a little 2.0 L inline 4, with an empty truck, except me. My daughter had a 2008 Tacoma, and it got 17-18 hwy.

I had a 74 Datsun truck back in the 70s, and it got 25MPG all around. My 71 Datsun PL521 truck got about the
same, and it weighed HALF what the current big-Taco V6s weigh. AND I could carry more cargo in the old Datsuns.

A pal of mine just ordered a new 2015 2WD V6 Taco to replace his 2008 4cyl 2WD, which always got over
25MPG.

Best I can get in my 2004 V6 4x4 Xtracab is 21....just got that over Christmas on the way back from
SoCal, keeping it just under 65.

The current Toyota 4cyl is a very good engine, putting out more hp than my old 3-liter V6 (89 Toyota 4x4
pickup). If diesel was not 80 cents more than gasoline, I would like to see a good 4cy diesel in the new
Taco, but that's just too much of a price diff.

A 2WD granny gear would be awesome, but I do not see a problem with electric-actuated 4x4 or a plastic
bed.

A fully-boxed frame (like Suzuki Samurais) would be a great thing, too.

Whatever Toyota comes up with after 11 model years, we know they will keep their #1 spot among these
so-called "mid-sized" half-ton PUs.