An EV??????`

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / An EV??????` #251  
As I keep repeating ad nauseum, if you did own an EV you would understand the pro's and cons of charging.
Yes, that has been repeated over and over, and it was an insult to people's intelligence the first time.

It really isn't that hard to read up on, and crunch the numbers of, charging and EV ownership in general.

You might as well try to convince me to buy a Maserati. I've never owned one, and they have never interested me. Would I start liking a Maserati if I bought one? That is extremely unlikely.

I know much more about EVs than I do about Maseratis, by the way. More than enough to not consider buying one.

/ An EV??????` #252  
I have 1979 Chevy stepside that I bought new, it’s 45 years old and still going. I have an 2002 Yukon that’s 22 years old and still purrs like a kitten. I just gave my great nephew my 1991 Isuzu pickup which is 33 years old. It’s too soon to tell but there is no way in hell an EV will go that long without spending thousands on batteries. Heck probably more than one set of batteries in that length of time.

/ An EV??????` #254  
Your numbers look too low to me for a legitimate professional 200 amp conversion, for a complete job.
Realistically pricing would be about double your numbers
I looked up general quotes on Google. But, $1000 to $5000 is still only a drop in the bucket when one is buying an $80,000 new car. In the current economy the cost of charging the EV at home is still significantly cheaper than paying for fuel. And this difference will become more significant for the high mileage drivers.

There are a lot of details in exactly how far one is traveling from home base, use of motels, does one's employer have recharge capabilities, exact vehicle, etc.

I am disappointed that the reports the new charging networks are so expensive. But, I also understand the costs in building out a new infrastructure. Hopefully competition will bring those costs down quickly.

As we start seeing more 200kWh cars, future cars will be very power hungry, so the bigger the panel the better. Or, perhaps in 50 years electric cars will be obsolete and we'll all be driving hydrogen fueled vehicles. However, I'm betting you'll be better off doing the panel upgrade now which will be a future benefit, or a future selling point for your house.

/ An EV??????` #255  
Yes, that has been repeated over and over, and it was an insult to people's intelligence the first time.

It really isn't that hard to read up on, and crunch the numbers of, charging and EV ownership in general.

You might as well try to convince me to buy a Maserati. I've never owned one, and they have never interested me. Would I start liking a Maserati if I bought one? That is extremely unlikely.

I know much more about EVs than I do about Maseratis, by the way. More than enough to not consider buying one.

I have to keep repeating it because people, like yourself, keep spreading misinformation. I could care less whether you own an EV but maybe someone who is contemplating buying one might be influenced by your misinformation.

Like the poster above who stated: "I do not need to spend a fortune on a vehicle that comes with built in problems."
How much is a fortune? What built in problems?

Every time I fuel my truck with diesel I pause a bit to make sure I'm not putting in regular gas. Those with with the DEF fluid have to worry about putting DEF fluid in the diesel tank. Those are built in problems.

/ An EV??????` #256  
How expensive does electricity have to become to negate any savings? In parts of Hawaii it is well over 40c kWh and San Francisco or San Diego are right there. They do offer some EV reduced rates but for how long?
1712680835038.png

/ An EV??????` #257  
   / An EV??????` #258  
How expensive does electricity have to become to negate any savings? In parts of Hawaii it is well over 40c kWh and San Francisco or San Diego are right there. They do offer some EV reduced rates but for how long?
View attachment 861518
Watching some of the pickup EV videos linked above, some of them were towing at about 1.2 miles per kWh. And one had a Ford F150 that was getting about 10 mpg for the same task.

So, 100 miles at 1.2 miles / kWh = 83 kWh
100 miles at 10 mpg = 10 gallons.

If your power is 20¢ / kWh, one gets $16.66 for the trip. If your power is 40c / kWh, and one gets $33.33

If your gas is $4 a gallon, it is $40. But, in Southern California, bet it is closer to $5 or $6, so $50 or $60.

So, the higher the electricity, the less benefit.

On the other hand, if you get an Aptera (assuming it makes it to the market), and park it in the sunlight, the power consumption will be almost zero, or may, in fact, be ZERO. Compare it to a gas powered moped.

Overnight charging was mentioned earlier. Solar is zero at night. But, hydroelectric, wind, and nuclear can continue throughout the night. Some power sources may choose to reduce their output during low load periods, but most will not wish to shut down to zero, or can not shut down at night.

Thus overnight wholesale energy may be cheaper than daytime energy. And California is already rewarding people who charge at night.

I do wonder if our grid is designed to support the extra load.

I've been charging my Transit Connect on about 10A, 110V. Slow, but I can not detect it on my electric bill beyond other power consumption. However, if one starts sucking down 50A, 220V all night long, or even more, that will make an impact.

/ An EV??????` #259  
In an effort to get a bit of an EV experience I took the Challenger for a short (160 mile) drive today, since the roads are dry and salt free now.

It was great to hear that whine coming from under the hood, and the wonderful exhaust notes when letting some of the 707 hp do their thing.

Is EV whine anything like blower whine? I don't know.

/ An EV??????` #260  
Watching some of the pickup EV videos linked above, some of them were towing at about 1.2 miles per kWh. And one had a Ford F150 that was getting about 10 mpg for the same task.

So, 100 miles at 1.2 miles / kWh = 83 kWh
100 miles at 10 mpg = 10 gallons.

If your power is 20¢ / kWh, one gets $16.66 for the trip. If your power is 40c / kWh, and one gets $33.33

If your gas is $4 a gallon, it is $40. But, in Southern California, bet it is closer to $5 or $6, so $50 or $60.

So, the higher the electricity, the less benefit.

On the other hand, if you get an Aptera (assuming it makes it to the market), and park it in the sunlight, the power consumption will be almost zero, or may, in fact, be ZERO. Compare it to a gas powered moped.

Overnight charging was mentioned earlier. Solar is zero at night. But, hydroelectric, wind, and nuclear can continue throughout the night. Some power sources may choose to reduce their output during low load periods, but most will not wish to shut down to zero, or can not shut down at night.

Thus overnight wholesale energy may be cheaper than daytime energy. And California is already rewarding people who charge at night.

I do wonder if our grid is designed to support the extra load.

I've been charging my Transit Connect on about 10A, 110V. Slow, but I can not detect it on my electric bill beyond other power consumption. However, if one starts sucking down 50A, 220V all night long, or even more, that will make an impact.
Power is Power. It does not matter if you use 10 amps at 110V for 10 hours or 50 amps at 220V for 1 hour. 11 kWr is still 11 kWr. The battery can only hold so much charge. With a 50 amp - 220v supply you will charge 10 times faster but cannot charge past battery capacity. If you are fully charging for 10 hours at night at $.15/kWh it is $1.65/day - $50/mo. I would see that on my bill.

BTW if you charging at home overnight on a 10 A - 110V supply you are not driving very much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.