An ill wind

/ An ill wind #1  

JRobyn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330HST
Due to a cross-country job change, my daughter/S-I-L/new grandson are living with us for a while while getting settled. Also included is her geriatric (14yo) chocolate lab. Even after plenty of time to get settled and relaxed, something is causing him to have unbelievably bad farts. These are every 5-10 minutes; rank enough to literally make your eyes water. We've tried several diet changes, including several high-quality dry and canned foods, and plain, homemade chicken and rice, all of which have had no effect. The vet (a good, trusted one) is no help. They did a full abdominal ultrasound to look for anything abnormal - all negative. He is old and stiff, but otherwise quite active. Eating and drinking normally. Fairly normal poop with occasional bouts of diarrhea during some of the dietary changes.

Is this just a characteristic of old dogs?

/ An ill wind #2  
Sometimes the best Vets, just like MDs miss something. Have another Vet check him out. A rapid change in diets is not a good thing for any dog. That's not helping his digestive track.

/ An ill wind #3  
too much change!

The dog moved.. that upset his gi tract.. he farted.. so you changed his food.. that upset his gi tract.. so he farted, so you changed his food again, that upset his gi tract, so he farted, so you changed his food again.. that upset his gi tract, so he farts.

See where this is going?

Quit making changes for the dog and let him settle down. Many animals, horses included, when you change their diet, it unsettles them for a bit, and takes them a while to find a 'normal'. On horses it can be even worse.. we transition their food gradually, starting to mix in a little new each day and slowly increase the % till they are on all new.

heck.. cound even be the water. did he go from city water to well water, or well water to city water? or well water in one area of the country, to well water in another? His body is possibly figuring out the new bacteria in the water, or in the case of treated water, he may not be adjusting well to chlorine or flouride, etc.. etc.

Id reccomend going back to the specific brand food he was eating before the move, and heck.. as a test, go for non mineralized water from a 1g or 2.5g jug and give him some time.

Your post listed a TON of changes.. and his time table for adjustment may not be the same as what you guys are expecting.

/ An ill wind #4  
what Soundguy said, and just don't discount the old, in old dog.

/ An ill wind #5  
Yup! Too much change.

It's an old dog, Have him eating basic kibble, (pick one and DON"T CHANGE) Crunching that stuff will give him something to do.

/ An ill wind #6  
Maybe a little investigation is in order. When odor arises, people are always quick to blame the dog!

/ An ill wind
I acknowledge that changes cause GI stress, especially in us OLD folks. But he has been on the exact same water, food, schedule, etc. for about 9 months now.

/ An ill wind #8  
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but my last two dogs showed this symptom when the were near there last.
14 years is a very good life span for any dog;my last went to 15.5.

/ An ill wind #9  
The years I had a black lab - he was a real gas passer. From the time we got him as a pup, until he died. We should have called him - "tweee".

/ An ill wind #10  
Heck, my wife tells me my "gas" has gotten a lost worse once I hit 50. My dad's can kill you and he's 85. I just say it comes with age.

Look on the bright side, you can always blame the dog:D