And there'd probably be some fool pull out to pass

/ And there'd probably be some fool pull out to pass #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I was in a line of traffic coming up the interstate during a snowstorm today... I knew from the snow cloud that a tractor trailer was in front of me so I kept back far enough to stop if I needed to. The travel lane was windswept and mostly bare, the passing lane was snow covered. Speed limit was down to 45 but we were all travelling about 60. Everybody was spread out so it was a lot safer than if the guy in front was traveling at 40 and everybody else was trying to go faster. At some point a putz in another rig decided that he just needed to go faster, so went by the entire line of cars. Suddenly I went from keeping a safe distance back of the snow cloud in front, to not seeing anything front or rear; I didn't dare slow because I didn't know what the guy behind me was doing, yet couldn't see in front of me to tell where the truck in front of me was. Pulling over would have been sure to cause an accident...When the snow settled I snapped on the CB and told the passer just what I thought of him, and that he was going to kill somebody. (Literally)
I travelled about 25 miles in that line of vehicles and don't really know how many were following me; or how many in front either, for that matter. Everybody seemed to be happy travelling that way, except for that one TT driver, and a few people in smaller vehicles who decided to pass right afterward. Fortunately they didn't kick up the snow cloud which that truck did. I never even saw the truck in front of me until we both happened to pull off at the next exit; I was not going let that happen again.
I've driven a million miles in all types of weather, and learned long ago not to get into anything that I can't get myself out of. Yet for about 2 minutes today I was scared, because of a situation I couldn't control and couldn't do anything about except to hold on and hope that nothing got in front of me.
>
>
I usually give credit when I quote somebody, but just this time; bonus points for naming the song which my leading line came from and the singer who recorded it.

/ And there'd probably be some fool pull out to pass #2  
I know the answer but I cheated and googled it, so I wont say

David

/ And there'd probably be some fool pull out to pass
I know the answer but I cheated and googled it, so I wont say

David
It was a good song in the day, and I still have to listen to it on Youtube occasionally.

/ And there'd probably be some fool pull out to pass #5  
I can't recall hearing that song, but they didn't really need to put the "probably" in their lyrics.

A friend of mine made a comment once while we were driving along on an icy road; "Seems like no matter what speed a person is driving on ice, they seem to think that anyone driving faster than them is a fool, AND anyone driving slower than them is an idiot."

/ And there'd probably be some fool pull out to pass #6  
I don't recall hearing the song but for some reason the line reminded me of an old song about "A little Nash Rambler with a horn that went beep beep beep".

/ And there'd probably be some fool pull out to pass #7  
I was in a line of traffic coming up the interstate during a snowstorm today... I knew from the snow cloud that a tractor trailer was in front of me so I kept back far enough to stop if I needed to. The travel lane was windswept and mostly bare, the passing lane was snow covered. Speed limit was down to 45 but we were all travelling about 60. Everybody was spread out so it was a lot safer than if the guy in front was traveling at 40 and everybody else was trying to go faster. At some point a putz in another rig decided that he just needed to go faster, so went by the entire line of cars. Suddenly I went from keeping a safe distance back of the snow cloud in front, to not seeing anything front or rear; I didn't dare slow because I didn't know what the guy behind me was doing, yet couldn't see in front of me to tell where the truck in front of me was. Pulling over would have been sure to cause an accident...When the snow settled I snapped on the CB and told the passer just what I thought of him, and that he was going to kill somebody. (Literally)
I travelled about 25 miles in that line of vehicles and don't really know how many were following me; or how many in front either, for that matter. Everybody seemed to be happy travelling that way, except for that one TT driver, and a few people in smaller vehicles who decided to pass right afterward. Fortunately they didn't kick up the snow cloud which that truck did. I never even saw the truck in front of me until we both happened to pull off at the next exit; I was not going let that happen again.
I've driven a million miles in all types of weather, and learned long ago not to get into anything that I can't get myself out of. Yet for about 2 minutes today I was scared, because of a situation I couldn't control and couldn't do anything about except to hold on and hope that nothing got in front of me.
>
>
I usually give credit when I quote somebody, but just this time; bonus points for naming the song which my leading line came from and the singer who recorded it.
I had a friend, Rick, who had a similar thing happen to him but it was on a dry road on a nice sunny day. He had just gotten on northbound on I-5 near Albany Oregon and the wind shifted and blew a thick cloud of smoke across the highway from a grass seed growers field that the grower was burning. He said the car in front of him disappeared, (he was in a cabover Freightliner) then the pavement in front of him disappeared. All he could do was hold on to the wheel and ease off the throttle (he was worried about the small car in front of him). After a few seconds he felt a jolt from behind then he rolled out of the cloud and parked on the shoulder. A few more seconds and the smoke cleared and the highway behind him looked like a war zone. I believe it was over 30 vehicles involved and there was lots of fire, lots of injuries and 7 or 8 fatalities. Another friend, Jerry, who was travelling with him was less than a mile behind him stopped at the south end of the accident and walked through the carnage looking for Rick and saw some of the dead, including a child in one of the cars. After it was all cleared up they drove north to Mount Vernon WA. Jerry never got behind the wheel of a truck again. This happened in 1988 or 89 I believe.

/ And there'd probably be some fool pull out to pass
I don't recall hearing the song but for some reason the line reminded me of an old song about "A little Nash Rambler with a horn that went beep beep beep".
This one...

A friend of mine made a comment once while we were driving along on an icy road; "Seems like no matter what speed a person is driving on ice, they seem to think that anyone driving faster than them is a fool, AND anyone driving slower than them is an idiot
That was one of George Carlin’s routines, sans “on ice”

This is where my opening line came from ...

I probably should post this over in the “battery and car” thread. 😈

Last edited:
   / And there'd probably be some fool pull out to pass #9  
>
>

Once in a great while, you get the supreme satisfaction of seeing an idiot like this get his due.

Years ago, I was in a similar situation driving on I-80 during a heavy snowstorm. I was doing about 40 in a line of traffic when a guy in a black BMW decided it wasn't fast enough. He began passing and throwing up a blinding cloud in the process. A few miles down the highway, I passed the guy who was off the roadway in a ditch. I remember thinking at the time that he learned a lesson the hard way.

Wrong! About 20 minutes later, the same idiot passed me again! Apparently he was able to get back on the road without causing a wreck. Sure enough about 10 miles further down the road, I passed the guy again. This time his black BMW was on it's roof in the highway median! Some fools never learn.

/ And there'd probably be some fool pull out to pass #10  
Mid seventies, I was driving a tandem dump for an excavating company whom leased their equipment on with the state during the winter. No plowing, just a spreader box.

We would go out singular and with a "plow train". The plow train's were the worst because we would block both lanes on the interstate. Trucks would get along side of me trying to get through the train.

Mostly when it was solid ice, there would be miles of headlights behind me. Often as not someone would become inpatient and pass only to spin out and go off of the road. Never took me out but I had some close calls. We were required to call the accident in and not stop if not involved.

One of the more stupid people tricks was when I was driving a rubber tired loader from a satilite salt dump to the main yard. Someone came out a side road and must have took one look at me thinking that they did not want to be behind me. They blew out of that side road and got T-boned. Ouch!