Another clothing caught in PTO shaft death....

/ Another clothing caught in PTO shaft death.... #51  
My uncle, now in his late 70s, used to work as a contractors driver. While loading a muck spreader with a PTO driven towed backhoe, he stepped over the drawbar with the PTO shaft over it, and got caught up with his coveralls. Lucky for him the International was at another job this day, and he had to make do with the Ferguson TO-20 that day. The engine stalled, after pushing his boots 20 to 30cm into the muck at the yard, just before his marital tools came in contact with the PTO shaft. If the IH diesel had been powering the backhoe that day, he'd probably not be a grandfather nowadays.

/ Another clothing caught in PTO shaft death.... #52  
I was just thinking the other day that even though my NH has the 787C backhoe essentially permanently attached (bought a 2nd CUT for pto work) that the pto shaft still would be rotating if a person inadvertently engaged it. Then sitting on the backhoe it wouldn’t take much to touch or become entangled with that 5” protruding cat 1 shaft. The results would clearly be very gruesome. I’m buying a new plastic cover. Lost the one that came with the tractor when I bought it new nearly 15 years ago…

/ Another clothing caught in PTO shaft death.... #53  
   / Another clothing caught in PTO shaft death.... #55  
I learned about rotating machinery in high school shop class (which the schools don't have anymore from what I've heard). Like some of the comments here, that applies to all rotating machinery not just PTOs. And some machines require you to get up close to the rotating part for it to work - i.e. a lathe (more so a wood lathe). Always be careful and plan ahead and stop and re-evaluate the situation periodically.