Another clothing caught in PTO shaft death....

/ Another clothing caught in PTO shaft death....
It would not have happened if he had excercised caution and common sense. I am not talking about how sad the outcome. I thought this thread was about the dangers of PTO shafts. I am talking about the probable reason for the death. Why not deal with the REAL reason, instead of just coming, once again to a conclusuion that everybody now needs yet more intrusive safety systems to protect them from themselves.

How you get that I came to that conclusion once, and apparently again, is beyond me.

/ Another clothing caught in PTO shaft death.... #32  
Sad outcome to the constant dangers we all live around and sad outcome to the pain and images the family will live with and need to cope with. God help them.

Many farmers live on thin margins and unfortunately can't afford the safest equipment. We all benefit from farmer's sacrifices to bring food to tables of the masses. Bless his family.

/ Another clothing caught in PTO shaft death.... #33  
Nothing funny or to joke about this man's death. Especially with it occurring in front of loved ones. You gentleman make light of a serious issue. When reminded of these stories, some of us are vividly reminded of all the death we've been exposed to for a long time.. Grow up, and have a little respect for a man who's putting food on your table...

AGREE!

/ Another clothing caught in PTO shaft death.... #35  
A needful reminder of a sad out come, glad my pto has a plastic shield around it. Sooner or later lot of us makes mistakes. Side note, don't like humor on a thread like this.

A needful reminder of a sad out come, glad my pto has a plastic shield around it. Sooner or later lot of us makes mistakes. Side note, don't like humor on a thread like this.

When I purchased my first tractor with a PTO shaft, I was unaware of the dangers. I borrowed my first powered implement, a sickle mower, from a farmer friend from work. It only had an old shaft with no cover. He warned me about it and insisted I purchase a covered shaft before he'd let me borrow it and taught me a valuable lesson. If no one teaches you, how do you learn? Through trial and error or self education. And no matter how well you are trained and drilled and prepared, accidents and brain freezes do happen. Who hasn't banged their head, or hit their funny bone, or stubbed their toe? Not too many folks.

And my current machine has no PTO shaft. All hydraulic. I don't miss that PTO shaft one bit.

/ Another clothing caught in PTO shaft death.... #38  
In the 80s had a good friend killed unloading corn in the bin . Brand new 8x60 auger with the new swing out vertical truck unloading auger . These were early models that required hooking the second shaft after you set the unload auger . You had to reset the shield on the second shaft . He did not . He ALWAYS wore the old military jackets with the drawstrings hanging out the bottom . 4640 JD at 165 HP running the auger . I will not get into the details , yes I will . Grabbed those strings , drug him in and killed him in .000000002 nanoseconds .

/ Another clothing caught in PTO shaft death.... #39  
Exactly! We All make mistakes, sometimes this results in accidents. Mistakes, hidden dangers , bad judgement can come in all forms & too numinous to list.
It's nice to know some people never make mistakes or maybe they just think they never will?

/ Another clothing caught in PTO shaft death.... #40  
Analysis of accidents usually shows they result from a sequence of mistakes not just one. In this case 1. No guard. 2. Loose clothes. 3. Too close. He could have made any two of the three mistakes and still been ok.