eBay/Craigslist Another EBAY SCAM - - -

/ Another EBAY SCAM - - - #31  
ScottK said:
On Ebay you are crazy if you pay with cash for anything. Use only Paypal with your credit card. That is your only real proteciton. For a private sale, cash of course is the norm - but not on Ebay.

Cash is the only way, ebay or not. I have no intention of buying something on ebay, say a car, tractor, boat...few thousand bucks, and sending the guy ANY money before I see the item IN person. If the seller says payment or settle in 3 days...I'll be there in person in 2 days! :D If the item is not as described...I'll walk, bad feedback or lose a few grand...I'll take the bad feedback.

/ Another EBAY SCAM - - - #32  
It's easier to have a look at the item while the auction is current and then bid if it all checks out . PayPal is now the only payment terms allowed on Ebay unless it's a high value item like a truck .

/ Another EBAY SCAM - - - #33  
Iron Horse said:
PayPal is now the only payment terms allowed on Ebay unless it's a high value item like a truck .

Not true, you can pay with a personal check, money order, etc. It's what the seller will accept. Paypal cost the seller money, some don't want PP holding their money either, yes I know you can transfer it out. It's easy for the buyer.

/ Another EBAY SCAM - - - #35  
As a buyer I would rathher pay with pay pal than any other method of payment. It is fast and easy. I would much rather take chance of getting money back from pay pal than a seller I dont know

/ Another EBAY SCAM - - - #36  
If it's a face to face deal and I can see that everything is copacetic then ok, cash it is (though anything over $1,000 cash requires a few friends accompany me to ensure I don't get rolled). but anything else requires an escrow service or I will not buy. Once whatever I bought is here and as advertised then the escrow service will release the funds. But should I buy a $15k piece of equipment and a piece of junk arrives then the escrow lawyers can get involved. If a seller won't agree to that then the sale is not worth my time.

/ Another EBAY SCAM - - - #37  
Iron Horse said:
Trust me , i would'nt lie about something so silly . Have a look at the latest Ebay notices regarding payment.........

Not a lie, just mis-informed. Maybe they do things different in your part of the world. If I recall Ebay bought Pay-Pal. So of course they want you to use and be charged for the use of Pal-Pal. Like I said, I have bought and sold things on Ebay recently, so this isn't a guess. ANd BTW, I use and prefer PayPal. simple and fast. Just saying it's no the only way to pay.