Another news story about loose dogs

/ Another news story about loose dogs #61  
I think people have lost all respect for anything other than themselves. They won't respect their neighbors. Or anyone else. They won't respect the land. There are people where I work that have pit bulls bragging about how vicious these dogs are. No fenced in yard. No control. Kids running everywhere. "Better not come around my place or my pit bulls will tear you up". And they will. It's accepted by these owners that these dogs are a weapon. Not their problem if the dog hurts someone. State Farm called us a few weeks ago about getting our home owners insurance with them. When they found out we had pit bulls they said they couldn't insure us. Not that we need State Farm. Not our fault. Not our dogs fault. Perhaps we need the federal, state government, or insurance company to tell us what breed of dog we can handle. After all, we all do seem to be that stupid.

Sadly, there is a lot of truth in that. That was pretty depressing, I may have to have shot of Sambuca before bed. ;) On the bright side, the underdog team won the Super Bowl.

Dave.

/ Another news story about loose dogs #62  
I think people have lost all respect for anything other than themselves. They won't respect their neighbors. Or anyone else. They won't respect the land. There are people where I work that have pit bulls bragging about how vicious these dogs are. No fenced in yard. No control. Kids running everywhere. "Better not come around my place or my pit bulls will tear you up". And they will. It's accepted by these owners that these dogs are a weapon. Not their problem if the dog hurts someone. State Farm called us a few weeks ago about getting our home owners insurance with them. When they found out we had pit bulls they said they couldn't insure us. Not that we need State Farm. Not our fault. Not our dogs fault. Perhaps we need the federal, state government, or insurance company to tell us what breed of dog we can handle. After all, we all do seem to be that stupid.

Or you could end up with legislated mandatory liability insurance that you couldn't afford thus be forced to make a "voluntary" decision re: keeping dogs. Kind of how mandatory insurance is more expensive on a red Corvette than a blue Focus thus helps you decide what car you can afford. MikeD74T

/ Another news story about loose dogs #63  
Or you could end up with legislated mandatory liability insurance that you couldn't afford thus be forced to make a "voluntary" decision re: keeping dogs. Kind of how mandatory insurance is more expensive on a red Corvette than a blue Focus thus helps you decide what car you can afford. MikeD74T

That's how it would work, but don't forget the uninsured dog owner surcharges :)

I am not a fan of mandatory anything really. But if you delve into the financial aspects of it, we already pay something for allowing the problems to continue.

For every child who needs reconstructive surgery, we pay in healthcare costs.

We make charitable donations, or via taxes 'donate', to support animal shelters and animal control.

For every serious dog attack or bite, we pay for police time to handle it, court time to resolve it. Probably pay for public defenders on a lot of these cases. We pay for police time just to handle roaming dog reports.

Probably pay something towards the homeowner liability parts of home insurance policies. Not sure about that.

The list goes on, there is no free lunch, dang it. :D
Dave.