Another road question

/ Another road question #1  

aarolar

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX4800
So I want to regravel my road soon and I'm curious if I should remove this center median first or just leave it. I've never had a bit of trouble from this road in the 5 years I've lived here just want to freshen up the gravel. It's probably 6-8" in places and grassy.

20161218_094205.jpg

/ Another road question #2  
Find someone local with a land plane. It works wonders and you might not need any more gravel. I perform road maintenance here in central Texas.

/ Another road question #3  
So I want to regravel my road soon and I'm curious if I should remove this center median first or just leave it. I've never had a bit of trouble from this road in the 5 years I've lived here just want to freshen up the gravel. It's probably 6-8" in places and grassy.

View attachment 492838

If it were mine I would scrape out the middle first, it looks high..Nice road.

/ Another road question
Yeah I'm rather jumpy about fooling with it because I don't want to mess it up like I said I've never done anything to it and we've been through two hurricanes that dumped tons of water in a short time. Nothing is traditional about it at all it has no crown and no ditches.

/ Another road question #5  

If you never had trouble with it I wouldn't mess with it.

/ Another road question #6  
I agree, it looks nice as is. If it has weathered that well with no pot holes that is all you can ask for. The center has grass on it and helps hold it together, cut/level it down and you may be creating future headaches.
I bet it is quiet to drive on and you add gravel it will be louder and your tires will throw rocks at your fender wells.

/ Another road question #7  
The product to use is a road base or 3/4" minus. It depends on what your query calls it but it's basically some 3/4" rock and inorganic finer material to bind everything. The strip down the middle would go away if you added anything, as most implements will cut that out. I've never used a land plane. I'm a box scraper guy. But I have hydraulic top and tilt which makes things much easier.

It all depends on the look you want and the time you want to spend. I keep mine maintained and would tune it up if I saw anything start to grow in it. But I have to agree it does look good as is!

/ Another road question #8  

View attachment 492838

Looks like a lot of driveways I've seen in East Texas that don't get much traffic and no really heavy vehicles. As long as the use is not expected to change why change the road when it is in good shape?

/ Another road question #9  
If I wanted to keep the grassy center, here's what I would do.

Find a dump truck driver who has done it or is willing to try: Place a piece of RR tie or concrete block against the center of the tailgate before loading. When tailgate-spreading the load, it will come out in a stream on each side but not the center, filling the ruts but not covering the grass.

Grade and maintain the road with a road-width landscape rake with the center teeth removed, and with gauge wheels.

Bruce

/ Another road question
The reason I care to remove the center is its getting too high for compact cars like my in laws drive it's starting to scrub the frame. It sees no less than 4 trips a day during the week as my wife and I both work.