Anvil “repair” issue

/ Anvil “repair” issue
Forged in Fire and every one wanting to be a wicked knifesmith has driven anvils to a premium price, a lot more than really worth, every sell has a "premium" anvil no matter "WHAT" shape it is in....

Exactly! That’s why I just ended up with a block of steel of some kind from the scrapyard. Of course, ever since I got it, I have read conflicting posts, articles, etc. on what to do with it... hardface it, don’t hardface it, weld the top but use e7018, weld the top bus use e12018, etc., etc. Looks like I chose the wrong post to go with, given my current situation.

/ Anvil “repair” issue #23  
It is easy to tell a lot of you guys have never really used an anvil. Mild stell doesn’t cut it for heavy use. A couple weekends a tear, no problem. I have owned maybe a dozen. The anvils with tool steel tops are vastly superior to soft tops. My current anvil is a 275# Trenton with a tool steeltop. There is no beating it as far as being a better anvil.
To the OP. Hardface rods will crack if welded too thick. Grind out the crack and weld with 7018. That rod will work harden enough to be sufficient.

/ Anvil “repair” issue #24  
IMG_0928.JPG

Once you figure out the anvil then comes the anvil stand. Save all your shorts, sharps, dross and grout into the stand for mass. Bending cams and fixtures on other side.

/ Anvil “repair” issue #25  
Smokeydog, cool feet on the anvil stand!

/ Anvil “repair” issue #26  
Hello,

I was attempting to hardface a make-shift anvil for use at home, because real anvils are so dang expensive. Was putting on the hardfacing rod after pre-heating the block, and I saw what you see in the picture. I was even peening the beads, but it still cracked all over the place. What do I do now?? Am I just SOL?

Thanks

View attachment 695232
I've been looking at hardfacing my digging equipment. I noticed that the rod is quite expensive. Wouldn't a Harbor Freight anvil be a cheaper way to go? Also did you butter the cast iron first with a nickel rod? There again nickel rod costs way more than hardfacing.

/ Anvil “repair” issue #27  
Hello,

I was attempting to hardface a make-shift anvil for use at home, because real anvils are so dang expensive. Was putting on the hardfacing rod after pre-heating the block, and I saw what you see in the picture. I was even peening the beads, but it still cracked all over the place. What do I do now?? Am I just SOL?

Thanks

View attachment 695232
I repaired an anvil that had been abused by somebody burning stuff (torching) on top of it and cutting slots in it. I used standard stick rods, probably 6011 or 6013 decades ago and figured I might experience soft lines in the anvil face. In several decades of use, I've never noticed any soft lines getting dented. I think most folks don't need a real hard anvil face for common work. You might try alternating sticks like stripes - hard, soft, hard, soft etc as the metal will blend some. I'd grind the cracks out and fill them with softer sticks. Chances are your bonds to the base may also crack with hammering if those cracks have gone all the way down to base metal. Looks like the weld beads got too hot in total. You could also try stitch welding - weld a few inches, skip, come back later and weld the skipped parts. Slow down and don't weld so much area all at once. The welded on metal is shrinking enough to crack, which means it was a lot hotter than the base going on. Another thought is try using an unaltered face of your chunk and see if hardface is really needed.