any alternatives to a conventional grease gun????

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun???? #11  
I have a 12v Lincoln grease gun and wouldn't use anything else. Lincoln also makes an air operated one. You can find the 12v for arround $170. The air ones are less than $100. One thing about the 12v lincoln is it doesn't use a standard grease gun hose. The hose on it has metric ends and has to come from lincoln if you blow one.

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun???? #12  
I have been using the lever operated greese guns on both my tractors and implements, there is only a few fittings I need the hand squeeze job for.

I use the air operated grease guns at work and I am not fond of them since they can have a tendecy to develop more pressure and spray grease where you don't want it....I would suggest using saftey glasses when operating the air operated grease guns....grease in the eye is uncomfortable.

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun???? #13  
I also use the Lincoln 12 V and like it. Easy to use and plenty of pressure. You can find them on ebay for $115 to $130 depending on whether you get one or two batteries.

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun???? #14  
I have the Lincoln and an air model. I wasn't that happy with the air - until I hooked it up to a cO2 tank - man does that thing push some grease and free up some stuck zerts.

It's all about pressure. They both have their place, I love the hose not getting in the way when I'm crawling around underneath with the Lincoln, but when I can get at things easy like the backhoe, or FEL, the big gun come out.

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun???? #15  
Check out your local NAPA dealer. I bought one of their pneumatic grease guns a couple of years ago. Under $75 if I remember correctly. Has yet to miss a beat!

Gary

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun???? #16  
I'm considering an air powered grease gun.
I never used one before.
When you pull the trigger, does it pop a shot of grease out,
or is it a continous flow of grease. Only one I ever saw
someone use just popped a shot of grease out at high pressure.
Each pull of the trigger was another pop. Two pops per zerk.
If there are two different kinds (shot or continous) which is better.

Thanks.

Pooh Bear

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun???? #17  
There are two different kinds. The single shot is the most common and the cheapest. Lincoln makes a continous cycle one that is much more expensive. I bought one of these a good many years ago when they first came out and I hated it. It only ever seemed to work half the time. Got 2 replacements under warranty and both of them were the same. I just quit using it and went back to the single shot. Later I upgraded to the continous flow cordless battery pack type and have been using nothing but since.

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun???? #18  
i have the cheapo. harbor freight one got it on sale for $11.00 3-4-6 or so years ago, single shot per pull. pretty accurate to about 20 feet at@ 120psi. works great for the cost the only prob is reloading the tubes sometimes hard to prime... jon

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun???? #19  
Thanks for the info.
I have a lever action grease gun and I have always hated it.
Takes 3 hands to use the thing. One to hold the gun, one to pump the lever,
and one to hold the hose on the grease zerk. And I always get grease all over everything.
I want something simpler.

Pooh Bear

/ any alternatives to a conventional grease gun???? #20  
When you pull the trigger, does it pop a shot of grease out,
or is it a continous flow of grease.

I liken my Lincoln air grease gun to an automatic rifle. Just squeeze the trigger and hold on :D

The Lincoln air grease gun that I own (the one I linked to) will continue to "pop" out grease as long as you hold the trigger in. Instead of a steady flow, it's more like a pop-pop-pop-pop. I'm thinking it's the internal pressure regulator kicking in to release pressure then it pops again. I turn my air compressor regulator to max everytime I use it and let the air tools internal regulators control their working pressure. All my air tools are rated for more pressure than my compressor makes, including the air grease gun.

I've had my Lincoln air grease gun going on 3 seasons and haven't had any problems with it, none. Only bad thing I can say is that it goes though the grease :D

I've still got my trusty ole hand pumper for just in case but the funny thing is I haven't put another tube of grease in it since it ran out and I decided to go with an air powered model :D

I just noticed I reached 1000 post! Only took me 2.5 yrs :D :D