Any ammo experts?

/ Any ammo experts? #1  

Complete Turf Care

Veteran Member
Tractor
2022 Kubota Grand L6060 (no loader), 2017 Kubota Grand L6060, 2011 Kubota L5740 HSTC-3, 1997 Kubota M4700
For years I have been using Winchester Ballistic Silvertip in a 117 grain in my .25-06 rifles. (I have 3 of them).
I’ve had good success with this round, but can’t find them anymore.
What would be a good substitute?
My rifles are Browning A-bolt and X-bolt.

/ Any ammo experts? #2  
I am not an expert nor do I own a 25-06. For the calibers that I shoot (.270, .22-250 and .223) I have migrated to Hornady. I shoot their superformance round in the .22-250 and .223. The .270 didn’t like the superformance round so I use the American Whitetail round in it. I am satisfied with all for my needs. Here is a link to find their offerings in your caliber:

/ Any ammo experts? #5  
I own two 25/06,40 years;always have hand loaded Noslers,either the partion or Accubond.115 or 120 grain with great success on deer.I think Federal uses this bullet or Nosler ammo themselves.

/ Any ammo experts?
Thanks for the replies. I don’t shoot enough to hand load my own.
I believe that every gun has a favorite bullet. For my guns it was the Ballistic Silvertip. I am hoping to find something very similar to that. I am leaning towards one of the Hornady loads.

/ Any ammo experts? #7  
If you already have the ammo that works best in your rifle, you are asking for trouble by changing to something else. I'm also struggling to find ammo for my rifle and my wife's rifle. I spent years trying different brands, weights and bullets. I reloaded for quite a few years too. For me, Federal Premium with 165 grain Sierra Boattail bullets is the most accurate. When I'm practicing a lot, I've managed to shoot five rounds that touched each other at 100 yards. The only other combination that I was able to do that was with a smaller Hornady bullet, but that bullet did not perform very well on deer, so I abandoned it. As far as I'm concerned, I will do whatever it takes to find the ammo that I know works the best in my rifle.

/ Any ammo experts? #8  
I (well my rifles) never liked any Hornady loads. I always had my best accuracy from Federal (even their American Eagle) loads. Can't explain it, others say they LOVE Hornady's. YMMV.

Try the loads that you can find, keep the one that works best.

/ Any ammo experts? #9  
Here's a link to your requested ammunition,

It might be a little pricey from years past, but I'd pay $100 a box for my 6.8SPC ammunition if I'd found any old Silver State Armory loaded with the 110gr Barnes TSX or TTSX that my rifle loves.

KC

/ Any ammo experts? #10  
The Winchester "ballistic silvertip" is just the Nosler ballistic tip bullet with a fancy coating sprayed on the bullet.

If you're completely stuck for ammo, start looking for a factory load that just uses the standard Nosler ballistic tip.

I load my own, so can't help you with store bought.