Any chemical snake repellant ideas?

/ Any chemical snake repellant ideas? #1  

alchemysa

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B1550HSD
We'll hopefully be spending a lot more time at our beach place next summer. An ongoing concern is snakes coming out of the coastal vegetation. These are seriously dangerous critters... Browns and Tigers, that I've seen, and Death Adders that I haven't seen but I'm told are around. These can all definately kill people.

I've got a good clearance of lawn around the house and I'll get rid of any rubbish but I was wondering if any of you guys (and girls) had tried any home made chemical snake repellants. It sounds quite reasonable to me that a good spray of some kind of unpleasant or 'predator' spray around the 'fence line' might persuade a snake to head the other way. I've Googled this a bit and seen a few commercial brands but they don't really sound too impressive and they are expensive. Ive also read mixed reports about concoctions of sulphur and mothballs. I even read one person swearing that human urine does the trick. (And that actually sounds somewhat plausible to me as urine marking is a common 'stay away' message in the animal kingdom.)

So has anyone got any ideas or tried any repellants? (Unfortunately shotguns, mongooses and peacocks are not an option).

/ Any chemical snake repellant ideas? #2  
The only one that i know of is a commercial brand sold by the makers of "Liquid Fence", a deer and rabbit repellent that seems to work very well around gardens. I have not tried the snake repellent but may buy some. The woman of the house is deathly afraid of the things. The deer repellent was not real expensive.