Forks Any experiences with these bucket forks?

/ Any experiences with these bucket forks? #1  

edawg

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere / 2025R
I searched the forums and saw a few posts, but am wondering about these ebay screw-down type forks from the guy in MI a few others have used that will work on my FEL that has a toothbar (of course, I'll have to make sure the bracket fits over the bar and that it'll fit between select teeth on the bar). The link below is for the 2000# HD 42" version for my Kubota loader with a 1500# capacity:

tractor bucket loader pallet skid clamp on forks 42" HD - eBay (item 220351324799 end time Feb-25-09 09:25:22 PST)

Or anyone have any super-man stories about the cheaper 800# version that is capable of lifting huge loads in a "single bound"? My bucket is not Quick Attach so I'll have to deal with some type of screw on forks. Payne's or other types are about $300 more for what appears to be a less user friendly design (these ebay ones have a spot to put 2X4s in to create a backstop and to keep the forks from spreading apart as well. Total I'd be out is $350shipped (plus a few 2x4s) for this ebay version vs. $600 if I buy Payne's forks with the "crossbar" that keeps the forks from spreading apart under load. Any experince with these or general screw on fork-related war stories are appreciated. Thanks y'all!

/ Any experiences with these bucket forks?
Uh oh... Crickets out there. Does this mean everyone's buying the Payne's forks or that no one believes in these eBay specials?

Will be using them to carry tons of things at the farm from a pallet loader for block/cement to firewood.... But at this point, the bank account sure could use the $300 savings!

/ Any experiences with these bucket forks? #3  
I'm not a big fan of clamp on forks, the geometry looks limited, but then again I have a quick tach bucket system and spent close to a grand on a set.

I'd say go for it, just don't overload them, you lose lift capacity right off from them being out in front of the bucket edge.

Forks come in handy for large bulky things like logs, poles/pipes (rails)

Here's another thread on the subject

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/122901-clamp-bucket-forks.html

Good luck, JB.

Attachments

• DSCN0657.JPG
    DSCN0657.JPG
    366.7 KB · Views: 210
   / Any experiences with these bucket forks? #4  
I built the MadReferee set and the ones you linked to look like vast improvements. The key problem area I have is the 'top plate' where the clamp bolt is... this bends on mine (just a piece of 1/2" flat) if I do something wrong but on those it looks very strong.

The weak point is where the clamp bolt contacts the bucket, it might be possible for those bolts to dent the bottom of your bucket. If you don't overload them it should be fine. Just remember the weight is way out front so it has a lot of leverage.

What is the planned usage?

/ Any experiences with these bucket forks? #5  
I got a set of Payne's #800 a few years back for my JD 790. They did what was asked of them, but that tractor didn't have a super heavy duty lifting capacity.
Just got a new Kubota B3030 HSDCC with LA403 loader. Am thinking about welding a steel plate maybe about 4 feet across and 3 inches or so wide onto the bucket because I don't like the dents put into the bucket and don't think that can be good after years of doing it in the same spots on the bucket.
For now, I just toss a piece of metal under the screw. But it isn't all that difficult to have a fork start going sideways on you if you don't enter a pallet straight or if you want to push something across a concrete floor and aren't dead on straight to it.
Looking back on it now, I think there are other brands out there that cost less than Payne and will get the job done for you. I know that I bought a screw on receiver hitch for my bucket for about $75 on ebay that was very well built and much less money than Payne.

Thanks for the info and links all! This design is similar to Madreferee's (RIP) though the backstop will be wood above the 3" post hole backstop. I'm going to take the leap and get these eBay 2000# capacity forks. The trick is going to be working around (or maybe relying on?) my bucket's toothbar in this setup. It SHOULD clear the toothbar based upon the specs on the site and if I can screw down each fork to the bar, then the load distributes perfectly across the whole bar and I can use wood "backstop" boards to distribute the weight fencing, posts, pallets, etc. against the bucket. I don't think I'll get the whole bucket's 1500# plus capacity with this setup, but most of what I'm moving is bulky vs. heavy fortunately.

A man's gotta know his equipment's limitations of course! :D

/ Any experiences with these bucket forks? #7  
I have a pair of paynes - not too wild about them. They are a bit wobbly. Good for light loads but I would not want to use them with any kind of a heavy load.

Just thought I'd post an update about these eBay forks after getting some heavy use out of them this past weekend.

They are simply GREAT! I was able to move around 900+lb attachments and 12" diameter X 10' logs effortlessly for the Kubota with the 762FEL. The model I bought has the forks that "slide" side to side on a heavy 1.5" solid rod that's suspended by two supports (see pic). I like this setup because I have 4 pressure points working on the bucket vs. just 1 or 2 like the Paynes forks and you don't need an additional expensive "crossbar" over the tines to get in the way. Plus there are extra reinforcing angle iron near the bucket-end of the tines to prevent bending. Attach/detach is a breeze and no sliding or "wandering" on the forks either since the cross-bar is bolted to the attachment points and the tines have holes through them that hold snug against the cross bar as well!

I also built a "backstop" for them about 18" high that fits down in the holes, but I need to drill some 1" holes through one of the center 2X4" backstop boards so I can spot my loads through them better. Most of what I'm going to do with them won't even need the backstop, but it's nice for things that might slide off otherwise such as logs or anything that might otherwise swing back into the grill of the tractor.

In short, for $420 delivered to my door, these things work and my hats off to Greg at GroundWorks. He did Michigan proud on these. I'm no salesman either. I'm just pointing out a good "quick attach" alternative out there that's reasonably priced. :D

Attachments

• forks.jpg
    forks.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 204