Any Freightliner mechanics?

/ Any Freightliner mechanics? #1  

QRTRHRS

Elite Member
Tractor
None at this time.
The turn signal assembly on my 01' FL70 is positioned around 9:30 and I cannot use the clutch without hitting it with my knee. I can adjust the tilt and elevation but I don't care for the higher setting to get enough clearence.

It looks to be bolted solidly with no adjustment. I was wondering if I could rotate the whole shaft housing or something? I would like to get it up to around 10 or 11 o'clock.

/ Any Freightliner mechanics? #2  
I don't think you can. You must have a long leg or something, I had a FL-60 and never hit the turn signal assy. I did have to change it once though.

/ Any Freightliner mechanics?
I don't think you can. You must have a long leg or something, I had a FL-60 and never hit the turn signal assy. I did have to change it once though.
Yeah I do. I guess the mechanism is camed or something so turning the wheel will shut it off. I may look into putting a manual shutoff on it if I cannot move it.

/ Any Freightliner mechanics? #4  
Can you adjust the clutch so the petal doesn't come up as far? On some Peterbilts and Internationals you can. You have to adjust the clutch and the clutch break. You have to make sure the cruse control switch on the clutch petal still works after doing this.
Bill

/ Any Freightliner mechanics? #5  
The turn signal assembly on my 01' FL70 is positioned around 9:30 and I cannot use the clutch without hitting it with my knee. I can adjust the tilt and elevation but I don't care for the higher setting to get enough clearence.

It looks to be bolted solidly with no adjustment. I was wondering if I could rotate the whole shaft housing or something? I would like to get it up to around 10 or 11 o'clock.

If it's an exposed column with a two bolt top band clamp at the top and a rubber grommet where it goes through the firewall you could . Just loosen the top clamp and turn the housing . You would need to remove the wheel and drill and install a roll pin in a new position for the flasher cancellation to work . You would need to remove the old pin or grind it off .

Can you adjust the clutch so the petal doesn't come up as far? On some Peterbilts and Internationals you can. You have to adjust the clutch and the clutch break. You have to make sure the cruse control switch on the clutch petal still works after doing this.
Bill
I have only had the truck about 2 or 3 months so I will have to check that out. While adjusting the clutch (internally), I noticed the lock nuts were loose on the lower linkage. I messed around with it a bit but noticed two things. One, the heim joints ought to be replaced and two, one does not seem to have enough threads compared to the other. Someone swapped the original six speed to a nine speed so no telling what is going on there.

Once I get the heim joints corrected, I may just take it to someone who knows what they are doing (lol).

The cruise does not work so that might be an issue with that. My useage is local so the cruise per sey is not that important except for idling up the engine.

Thanks

If it's an exposed column with a two bolt top band clamp at the top and a rubber grommet where it goes through the firewall you could . Just loosen the top clamp and turn the housing . You would need to remove the wheel and drill and install a roll pin in a new position for the flasher cancellation to work . You would need to remove the old pin or grind it off .
The column is adjustable for elevation and tilt so it gets involved. While everything is pretty much exposed, without taking it apart, I cannot see what is going on. There is a shroud over the signal switch but from what I can see, it looks to have two stationary bolts.

I can remember moving signal switches years ago by simply loosening a column strap and moving them. Ahh simplicity!

/ Any Freightliner mechanics? #8  
I can remember moving signal switches years ago by simply loosening a column strap and moving them. Ahh simplicity!

That sounds like the old Signal Stat system . What is in there now can be replaced with one of those and put anywhere he wants it since it is attached with 2 big hose clamps . Splice a couple of wires and it's good to go . The downside ? One must remember to manually turn the signal off after the manuever is completed . OR you drive for miles with your signal light on .

/ Any Freightliner mechanics? #9  
The old "Sig-Stat" head used to have a small pilot light to remind you the signal was on. But the pilot was small and not overly bright and easy to miss and just forget it was on.

I got the larger flasher unit (interrupter) for a city bus, which makes quite a "loud" click,...and also found if you glued a small piece of broken glass on top of the pilot light, it would act like a diamond in the sun and make a very bright light to remind you to shut the beggar off !!

That was only good on the Sig-Stat with the pilot on the head. Some models had the pilot on the end of the lever. For those you could glue one of the Christmas tree light reflectors to the bottom of the pilot so it made a large flash, especially at night.

Is the old Sig-Stat still around? Must be something comparable anyway that can be easily moved up out of the way. ...OR,.. if the steering column auto-cancel mechanism, is no longer important,...you could mount the Sig-Stat (etc) almost anywhere, (dash, gear shift, and even "overhead" where the pilot is in your eye etc)????? .........Good luck to you,

CHEERS!
. . tug

Last edited:
I just did a little searching around and indeed, Signal Stat is still around, now owned by TruckLite. I am seeing a model 900 signal unit and it looks to be fairly inexpensive.

I may just go that route. Being old school, I kind of like the manual switch, lol!