Any JD 4700 HST mechanics in here ?

/ Any JD 4700 HST mechanics in here ?
forgot to mention when we got it all apart. the wiring harnesses were all eaten up by mice. luckily JD still had them in stock. those buggers get into everything. I'm hearing dryer sheets are the trick.

/ Any JD 4700 HST mechanics in here ? #32  
One hears that dryer sheets work, but have yet to hear that there is any proof. Am thinking it is just a tale.

But mouse poison and traps do work.

Also, I've found that spraying the nesting area down with a bleach solution covers the urine smell that lures the mice back to the nesting location in the tractor. Have yet to find a repeat nesting or wire chewing since doing that to my JD 212 in '75

Note that in the last pics there was some corrosion of the oil cooler, and was a known problem with the early 4xxx's due to the battery sitting so close and off-gassing battery gas.
Fix was vented battery caps and a hose to let those gasses release further below. Maybe a cleaning with baking soda and some primer/paint to stop the damage.

So stopped by yesterday. wiring is repaired. and covers going on.They changed the engine and front axle oils as I had asked. loader brackets mounted. so they are hoping to get it fired up Monday. and make adjustments. they did find a damaged injection line . apparently it was a issue with the 4500, 4600, and 4700s . JD had a upgraded line. so they replaced it. it was rubbing on a lift bracket at the top of the engine.

/ Any JD 4700 HST mechanics in here ? #34  
So stopped by yesterday. wiring is repaired. and covers going on.They changed the engine and front axle oils as I had asked. loader brackets mounted. so they are hoping to get it fired up Monday. and make adjustments. they did find a damaged injection line . apparently it was a issue with the 4500, 4600, and 4700s . JD had a upgraded line. so they replaced it. it was rubbing on a lift bracket at the top of the engine.
What do you figure the cost will be “all in”?

No idea. had them do other work while they had it split. found the 4 wd engagement paw had wear and needed replaced. they had to fix the rocker shaft assembly since it was rubbing on the housing. wiring work from the mice . as well as rebuild the transmission. Change the front differential oil , and engine oil. had them replace all rubber fuel lines as they were showing cracks , replace the steering cylinder as it was bent in several places . Replaced some cracked and damaged plastic body parts . I'm guessing I will see that bill soon enough. I believe the parts bill and labor will be fairly close. if all goes as planned, it should last me another 20 years lol . After I recover from the heart attack from seeing the bill. I'll share what the damages are. in for a penny in for a pound .

Another update. Tech was our Monday and Tuesday , went by there today and tractor is running. they are waiting for a tool to adjust the servo motor for the HST. IF all goes well I'll be picking it up next week towards the end of the week ( My work schedule has gotten very complicated recently) . On another note I had made a mistake when I ordered new side panels ( with new black grills) and hood for a John deere JD 4200 - 4400 ( instead of a 4700). if anyone needs a new set of aftermarket hood ( with gas door) and both side panels ( with new black metal grills for the side panels installed) . And you happen to be in the Southern Md, king George VA, and DC ( I work in DC area) and are interested let me know. I have a bit more than $325.00 into them. I'm looking for $250.00. Let me know. perhaps I may be able to meet up with you??

Attachments

• 20230323_161949.jpg
    20230323_161949.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 76
  • 20230323_161932.jpg
    20230323_161932.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
   / Any JD 4700 HST mechanics in here ? #37  
So is all running ok now? (Or did you tip over after you got the invoice from them?)

-Bob

Nope they are still working on it lol. there is a long story about the bill. when I have time I'll add more details.

/ Any JD 4700 HST mechanics in here ? #39  
Ok. Good luck with the situation! I hope it continues to move in the right direction for you.

Thank you! as long as it gets fixed, I'll be elated !!!