Any soil experts here?

/ Any soil experts here? #1  

eCRX

Bronze Member
Tractor
2004 Massey Ferguson GC2300, 2015 Cub Cadet XT2
A local company dredges a very large "kettle lake" and sells the spoils as top soil. They have decent reviews.

This is what the soil reports

The more I research the more I realize I don't know a damn thing about soil.

Anyone know if this is good stuff for establishing/seeding a brand new lawn? Was going to put 2in of this on top of existing lawn (that I will be running a Harley rake over).

/ Any soil experts here? #2  
Not a expert here but I have some college knowledge in the matter and this is what I see...

It is top soil so it is good stuff to begin with, his soil is more sandy soil which is good for drainage but ideally should be closer to 40% sand, 40% silt and 20% clay but he is not far off. This is the optimum combination of soil components to holds nutrients and water, while draining well.

The PH is on point with a PH of 7, he as a very good percentage of organic matter with 8 As is and 13 dry, the carbon to nitrogen is ok ( the optimum should be around 25:1 he as 13:1) ... overall I would say he is lacking in the carbon to nitrogen ration, lacking slightly in soil composition but excelling in organic matter and perfect PH there is nothing wrong with this top soil and is probably standard grade as far as topsoil go but excellent as far as soil goes.

/ Any soil experts here? #3  
Also not an expert, but I have my soil tested at least once a year by the local ag extension service. (In my case Clemson). IMO I think your pH is a little high @ 7.65(?). Around here they want it very low 7's to 7.0. To me the report says you need Nitro, Potassium and maybe some lime to bring down the pH.

That's why I would recommend getting another sample tested at your local ag extension. Most will tell you not only what you need, but how much to apply. Typical cost for a soil test is like $6.

/ Any soil experts here? #4  
Also not an expert, but I have my soil tested at least once a year by the local ag extension service. (In my case Clemson). IMO I think your pH is a little high @ 7.65(?). Around here they want it very low 7's to 7.0. To me the report says you need Nitro, Potassium and maybe some lime to bring down the pH.

That's why I would recommend getting another sample tested at your local ag extension. Most will tell you not only what you need, but how much to apply. Typical cost for a soil test is like $6.
you are right for the PH should be between 6.5 to 7 it is high but only sulfur is needed to lower the PH …lime would increase the PH

/ Any soil experts here? #5  
you are right for the PH should be between 6.5 to 7 it is high but only sulfur is needed to lower the PH …lime would increase the PH
I always get that mixed up !! Thanx for the correction.