Any tales from Echo PPT 280 owners? And what about harnesses?

/ Any tales from Echo PPT 280 owners? And what about harnesses? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I'm PRETTY serious about getting an Echo PPT 280 PLUS the 4 foot extension, thus getting 17 foot of pruning reach.

I don't plan on using it for hours at a time, rather pull it out for trimming "leaners" so I can get them down safely.

This one for example required me cutting 4 branches w/ my 17' manual pole pruner while standing on an adjacent roof
leaning-tree.jpg.

I've a lot of "leaners" and decided to splurge for a gas pole pruner with max reach. I would prefer in the ideal world a battery operated 17 footer but no RELIABLE mfg. makes them.

However Echo produces a well respected PPT 280 so I'm looking for reviews, good or bad, from actual TBN users. And also pointers for a good affordable harness (the Easy lift that KiotiKowboy used to promote is $360, over half the cost of the saw).

/ Any tales from Echo PPT 280 owners? And what about harnesses? #3  
I got the second to largest Stihl 2 years ago and love it. The Echo has a 5 year warranty supposedly so that should be about 1 tank of gas. I would not be afraid to get the Echo at all because they are very reliable generally.

They do get heavy though after about 10 minutes. I noticed that harness and like it but am to cheap for it. Besides I can stretch my saw way out and still hld the saw as far over my head as possible for a good reach. Maybe that's why I don't use it much.

/ Any tales from Echo PPT 280 owners? And what about harnesses? #4  
I have the Stihl HT-131 and it is awesome but wears my butt out pretty quick. The harness will be your friend if you use it much at all. I get a younger lad to run mine and then just use my BX to gather up the limbs :)

/ Any tales from Echo PPT 280 owners? And what about harnesses? #5  
Echo makes good stuff as far as I know and have heard. I have a Stihl kombi pole saw and it does get to me after a time. But when I use it, it is only for 10 to 20 minutes. It is not like I am chunking up firewood with it for hours. I would not hesitate on Echo, lots of satisfied TBN members out there.

/ Any tales from Echo PPT 280 owners? And what about harnesses?
You don't like Stihl?
Um, in addition to the 4 Stihl chainsaws in my sig I've 3 Stihl brushcutters, 2 Stihl blowers. So I would say I don't just like Stihl I LOVE Stihl, but they don't make a 17 footer with a powerhead.

I got the second to largest Stihl 2 years ago and love it. The Echo has a 5 year warranty supposedly so that should be about 1 tank of gas. I would not be afraid to get the Echo at all because they are very reliable generally.

They do get heavy though after about 10 minutes. I noticed that harness and like it but am to cheap for it. Besides I can stretch my saw way out and still hld the saw as far over my head as possible for a good reach. Maybe that's why I don't use it much.
That describes me precisely - "to cheap for it". Stihl makes a pole saw harness - the RTS-HT harness for pole pruners (I called my local dealer and they were aware of the harness but never sold one and it wasn't in their current computer catalog) but I was wondering if there were other brands available.

/ Any tales from Echo PPT 280 owners? And what about harnesses? #7  
I had the PPT 260 and you will love having a real 2 stroke. Dont get that 4 mix crap IMO. Even stihl is going back to real 2 strokes in the ope. ;)

I have a PAS 280 and wow stronger. Echo IMO about the best in pole pruners and trimmers etc.

e280p.jpg_thumb.pnge280.jpg

/ Any tales from Echo PPT 280 owners? And what about harnesses? #8  
Only upgrade I did was to make up some 63PS or 63PS3 full chisel picco chain 44dl for it. Cuts 20% faster. Yep they all get heavy and I didnt use a harness.

Also you dont hear of folks bending the echo extension ppt like the others. They are super sturdy. I had mine apart in a pic here I will share.

Dont know if the weights are still the same no b+c weight. This was 7 years ago.

PPT 265 12' 2" Dry Weight (lb)* 17.4

PPT 260 12' 10" Dry Weight (lb)* 16.7

PPT 280 13' Dry Weight (lb)* 19.2

eppt260b.jpgeppt260a.jpgeppt260.jpg

/ Any tales from Echo PPT 280 owners? And what about harnesses? #9  
i've had a stihl 101 and a echo 265/ the echo seemed the have a sturdier extension, but the stihl was more ergonomic. in fact i used the stihl for an hour today and yes it gets heavy. i don't use a harness because i like to stretch out with the saw for a few more feet.

/ Any tales from Echo PPT 280 owners? And what about harnesses?
Well I bought the PPT 280 w/ a 4' extension and 3 extra chains.

Pics to come later.

The dealer told me they were discontinued and they are only going to be selling the PPT 2620 series, and the big difference to me is it's a foot shorter. Like I've explained I don't plan on using it for lot's of limbs at a time, rather a few far away ones.

Got it home, stretched it out a bit, cut through a 6" limb at about 10' like butter. Now looking for a harness but might not need one.