Any tips on using dashboard electric clutch on PTO for auger?

/ Any tips on using dashboard electric clutch on PTO for auger? #1  

SmallChange

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland WM25 with 200LC front end loader, filled R4 tires 43X16.00-20 and 25X8.50-14 (had a Kubota B6200D with dozer and R1 tires)
My new tractor has an electric clutch for the PTO. This seems a little weird to me, for running an auger (which is the only attachment I have that is driven). I wouldn't have chosen this feature, though the whole machine is nice.

On the old machine, you hit the clutch pedal to stop the auger. Whenever ugly noisy startling things start happening, in ANY activity (not just augering), my first automatic reaction is stomping the clutch, and asking questions later. If you threw a bean bag at my head I'd probably go for the clutch. Besides, you can be a bit tentative starting the auger too, for example if you're not sure you're on a big root or something.

So, any tips on this new arrangement? The one thing I've heard is to slow the engine before engaging the electric clutch, to reduce the shock, and speed it up once the thing is spinning. Any other such advice?

I think I just have to get used to the idea of hitting the clutch control - it's push and twist to engage, but just pushing it is supposed to disengage it. A little mental reprogramming.

Thanks!

/ Any tips on using dashboard electric clutch on PTO for auger? #2  
Yep. Engage at idle. Slap the knob to turn it off.

/ Any tips on using dashboard electric clutch on PTO for auger? #3  
My tractor has a switch that I can use that will turn off the PTO if the clutch is engaged. It's useful for things like post hole digging, but not if your mowing or rototilling. I typically leave it in the always on position.

Another thing you may want to look into, is putting pto slip clutches on everything, if not already installed. Make sure they are adjusted correctly and be sure to slip them every once in a while to make sure they are not rusted together.

Being used to the old leaver actuated PTO systems, that can be feathered on, I found the electric PTO switch very violent. Having the slip clutch and starting it at an absolute idle, has done much to put my mind at ease.

/ Any tips on using dashboard electric clutch on PTO for auger? #4  
The next time you buy a tractor, ask for a machine with soft start on the PTO, some are adjustable on how soft the engagement are.

/ Any tips on using dashboard electric clutch on PTO for auger? #5  
The next time you buy a tractor, ask for a machine with soft start on the PTO, some are adjustable on how soft the engagement are.

I don't think there is such a thing on tractors, let's under 60 or 70 HP...

Most PTO clutches are electric over hydraulic actuated. It's just a clutch pack engaged by a solenoid valve that is either open or closed, no proportional control on these to allow for a soft start function.

Last edited:
   / Any tips on using dashboard electric clutch on PTO for auger?
My tractor has a switch that I can use that will turn off the PTO if the clutch is engaged. It's useful for things like post hole digging, but not if your mowing or rototilling. I typically leave it in the always on position.

Another thing you may want to look into, is putting pto slip clutches on everything, if not already installed. Make sure they are adjusted correctly and be sure to slip them every once in a while to make sure they are not rusted together.

Being used to the old leaver actuated PTO systems, that can be feathered on, I found the electric PTO switch very violent. Having the slip clutch and starting it at an absolute idle, has done much to put my mind at ease.

I like this idea! I think I've seen these at TSC. Any recommendations? Is there a breakaway torque I should look for, or are they adjustable?

/ Any tips on using dashboard electric clutch on PTO for auger? #7  
I like this idea! I think I've seen these at TSC. Any recommendations? Is there a breakaway torque I should look for, or are they adjustable?

I got mine from amazon, I dont have a TSC around me.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L9UZO64/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure you get the type that will work best for your applications. So like this one, it is smooth on one side and splined on the other. They make all sorts.

What I do, every time I hook up to something with a slip clutch after its been sitting a while, is to loosen all the spring bolts almost all the way out. Take a soap stone marker and draw a line across both plates. Lift up the implement just a bit and enguage the pto. Rev up the engine to 540RPM at the PTO and then idle down and turn off the PTO. Do this about 5 times. Then go look at your marks. They should have moved. If not, you will likely need to completely disassemble the clutch because it has rust welded together. I have yet to have this happen.

Once your have slipped the clutches, follow the instructions that likely came with your clutch, though I lost mine somewhere along the way. All I do now is tighten them down a bit, evenly. Wipe off the soap stone and make another mark. Go mow, or rototill a bit. See if your mark has moved. If so, remove the mark, tighten a bit more, evenly. Make another mark and run it again. Go until you can preform the work without the clutch slipping. Then I tighten them down just a bit more, like 1/8 or 1/4 turn, and that is my setting. Get out the small t-square and measure the length of the bolts. Make sure they are even, and done. I wrote the measurement on my clutch with a paint marker so I only needed to do that once. OR you could simply measure the bolts before loosening them, but not when it comes from the factory.

The factory has no idea what you'll be putting the clutch onto. I am sure my tiller has more forces applied to it than my mower. Do the above method first (or follow the manufactures instructions, which I believe are similar) and write it down. Just remember to slip the clutches to make sure the clutch is actually able to slip if you hit something.

/ Any tips on using dashboard electric clutch on PTO for auger?