Any tips or tricks on removing the joystick on a 425?

/ Any tips or tricks on removing the joystick on a 425? #1  

KentT

Elite Member
Tractor
1993 Power Trac 1430 w/Kubota diesel engine
The stud on the ball socket for my lift control valve broke off at the wobble plate on the joystick. I ordered in the replacement from Tazewell, but thought I'd ask for any tips/tricks on removing the joystick, which I've never done before. Hopefully I won't need to remove that whole nest of hoses off the valves themselves...

Any suggestions on how to proceed, working in this very cramped space?

Thanks!

/ Any tips or tricks on removing the joystick on a 425? #2  
As I recall, the entire valve body is bolted up under the "dash" and the joystick just protrudes through a hole. I haven't looked under there in 13 years. Looking at this picture of my dash it appears something is welded around the hole. Don't know why. Stick you cell phone under there and take some flash pictures and lets see what you have.

PT425Controls01.jpg

/ Any tips or tricks on removing the joystick on a 425?
Just realized that I never closed this topic out.

The joystick can be removed from the bottom of the dashboard without the need to loosen or unbolt the triple valve stack. Just remove the pins that hold the short levers to the top of valves, after removing the cotter pins. Remove the shift knob from the joystick, then remove the large nut what goes around the joystick on top of the dash, and slide it up and off the joystick. Then, the joystick will drop down through the hole in the dashboard, and you can maneuver it around the valve stack and out underneath the dash.

Bit of a PITA removing the cotter pins and the pins that connect the linkage to the valves, due to limited space and visibility. But, it's doable and not rocket science...