Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #541  
Maybe somebody needs to invent an extraction crane for us senior.

. No more cars for me since last summer. Only pick up trucks for me now.

IMG_3298.jpg

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #542  
The biggest challenge is getting into it. At 6 feet tall and 70 years old, I have an interesting contortion method.
It sure is tough when you are over 6' tall. The Miata got bigger with the different generations, 1, 2, 3, until Gen 3 (NC) was getting pretty big, relatively. My brother has a 2010 NC with retractable hardtop, and he is over 6' 1". The current 4th generation (ND) is back to being small. I am only 5'6" and in my early 60s. Great car, and not too bad getting into.

The most difficult cars I have getting into and out of are the Lotus Exige and Elise. They use a huge outboard box-beam in the unibody that you have to get over to get into the seats. Same as the Tesla Roadster, which I have also driven.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #543  
It sure is tough when you are over 6' tall. The Miata got bigger with the different generations, 1, 2, 3, until Gen 3 (NC) was getting pretty big, relatively. My brother has a 2010 NC with retractable hardtop, and he is over 6' 1". The current 4th generation (ND) is back to being small. I am only 5'6" and in my early 60s. Great car, and not too bad getting into.

The most difficult cars I have getting into and out of are the Lotus Exige and Elise. They use a huge outboard box-beam in the unibody that you have to get over to get into the seats. Same as the Tesla Roadster, which I have also driven.

A few years back I took a race track driving course using the course provided Lotus Elise. It was SO embarrassing having to put my hand on the ground to roll myself out of the drivers seat. Of course this was due more to lack of flexibility than height.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #544  

First gen Viper had a 10" wide beam - with the exhaust pipe underneath it!

Had a chance to drive an Exige in a track session at Lime Rock. Only one problem: at 6'2 I never did figure out how to get in it! That's one of the reasons I have a WRX, which has plenty of room and isn't too hard to get in and out of. I've kept the 2009 because the new generation is not available as a hatchback.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #545  
First gen Viper had a 10" wide beam - with the exhaust pipe underneath it!

….at least you could get in it! I will bet the Viper is fun at WOT.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #547  
   / Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #548  
I had the opportunity to run one of my bucket list tracks this year. My old 99 Mustang GT with a stock engine is slow but I still had a blast.

2019_08_0117_44_177136.JPG

Daytona Road Course at Dusk - YouTube

Picked up a BMW Z4 for the wife this year also. It's more of a cruising sports car than a track duty type.

MLs-Z4.jpg

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #549  
I have an old 2 door Chevy out in the garage
Convertible with removable hardtop. First saw it in a guys garage in1974, helped him get it running again, told him if he ever sells it, give me a call. Call came in 1982, been the proud owner ever since. It says Stingray on it. Some guy's mother in the service sold one like it when he didn't come back from Viet Nam. Least that is what some guy from Hollywood named David Ball said!
David from jax

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #550