Any WWII warbird fans out there?

/ Any WWII warbird fans out there? #1  

PaulB

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B1700 HST
Not a darn bit related to tractors, but the "brain trust" has not failed me yet, so I figured it is worth a try. How in the world do those radial cylinder motors work, like on the Hellcat and Firecat? How can they hook 12 - 18 cylinders up, in the same verticcal plane, to one crankshaft? On the 2 cylinder Harleys I can see how they use one connecting rod inside the other, what they call the "Knife and fork" setup, but how do you do that with 18 connecting rods? Anybody know??
Thanks,
PaulB

/ Any WWII warbird fans out there? #2  
PaulB,
Yeah that engineering department sure figure it out.

With the armour and the pay load plus some landed on air craft carriers those engines were reliable work horse.

Hope you got the bike up for winter. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Take care.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Any WWII warbird fans out there? #3  
Some of the big ones even have 30 or more cylinders! Those they stagger. Some of the early ones mounted the crank to the body of the plane, and the prop to the motor case. When they ran, the whole motor spun around on the crankshaft! That must have kept turning for an hour after you shut it down."LOL".

Paul B [ I guess there is more then one of me]

/ Any WWII warbird fans out there? #4  
Re: Any WWII warbird fans out there? *DELETED*

Post deleted by jimmoore

/ Any WWII warbird fans out there? #5  
PAUL, most of the 18 cylinder aircraft engines were two 9 cylinder radial engines bolted one in front of the other. They were either wright cyclones or pratt & whitney wasps. jim

/ Any WWII warbird fans out there? #7  
PaulB, there's no way I could even attempt to explain those motors with the written word, but if you ever get a chance to visit the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio, or the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Florida; don't miss the opportunity. I remember that one, or both, have some cutaways of those motors that lets you understand them. I don't remember the URL, but the Air Force Museum has a web site that shouldn't be hard to find, but I don't recall it having a good explanation of how those motors work.

Bird

/ Any WWII warbird fans out there?
jim - one word for the link you posted - WOW!!! thank you

/ Any WWII warbird fans out there? #9  
I have read a few books about WWII era war planes. I know that Pratt and Whitney made a 9 cylinder radial engine called the Wasp. Later on they married two of the Wasp crankcases back to back to create the 18 cylinder Double Wasp. These engines were very popular on carrier based aircraft during WWII because they were much shorter and easier to work on that an in-line engine of similar horsepower. I have even seen mention of larger Pratt engine called the Wasp Major that had 4 rows of 7 cylinders for a total of 28 pistons and a horsepower rating somewhere around 2500./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif I have noticed that radial engines always have an odd number of cylinders in each row but I don't rememeber why.

MJB

/ Any WWII warbird fans out there? #10  
My Dad was a China Marine, and served as a mechanic on land and carrier based Corsairs, a plane which had a radial engine. The engine had 3 banks of 9 cylinders (and each cyl had 2 plugs). The Corsair was capable of reaching the sound barrier on a dive; it was quite a plane. He still has all of the original mechanic training manuals. I'll give him a buzz tomorrow and ask what the crank setup was. I'll report back here with his answer.

Sidebar - My Dad is very proud of his service in the Corps. He is still active in the Marine Corps reserves and the local VFW post, doing community service, marching in parades, driving vets to the Veterans hospital in White River Junction, Vt., and gives a lot of his time to the Toys for Tots activities sponsored by the local Marines. This summer, my wife and I went camping with he and my Mom at a campground on beautiful Lake Champlain here in Vt. When we arrived at the campground, he and I went to the main office to pay for our trailer sites. The owner of the campground was a real nice fellow, and spoke with an French accent. He is a just few years younger than my Dad, and they quickly broke into an easy shooting-the-breeze session. As they were talking, this fellow learned from my Dad that he is a WWII vet. Well, as soon as he heard this, he insisted that we follow him into his home, where he showed us what I can only describe as a shrine to WWII vets. He explained that as a young fellow in France, he vividly remembers the American GI's, and the feeling of elation he and his countrymen felt when they were freed from the Nazis. He profusely thanked my Dad for his efforts during the war, and would not allow him to pay for his trailer site. My Dad is a tough old Marine, but he was as close to crying as I have ever seen him. He said that no one had ever thanked him before. It was a touching moment, and one that I'll never forget.

Sorry for the long post guys. I'll let you know what the crank setup was on those radial engines as soon as I get a chance to talk to him.

Corm