3-Point Hitch Anybody-2310 w/ 3point log splitter?

/ Anybody-2310 w/ 3point log splitter? #1  

woody49705

Bronze Member
Tractor
07' GC2310 TLB
Hello everybody it's my first post here--been reading and educating myself before finally purchasing the 2310TLB with 60" MMM which i'm extremely happy with. My 12 year old daughter is also telling me she's addicted to driving this "AWESOME" machine as she put it. I'm now looking for advice on a 3 point log splitter if anybody has gone this route or knows someone with comprable size machine. Any help or opinions would be appreciated. By the way thanks for helping me wisely invest in saving my back!!!!

Woody

/ Anybody-2310 w/ 3point log splitter? #2  
Oh yes, this is a good question. I've been researching this one myself. What I was thinkin is that it needs an independent hydraulic pump feed off of the PTO. I don't think the pump on the tractor is quite big enough but, I'm not certain. I've yet to find one though.

I would also like a tree spade and a cement mixer on the 3 point. Havn't researched these yet.

/ Anybody-2310 w/ 3point log splitter? #3  
You can do it without a pump but it is SLOW. A pump would speed it up, but add to cost. If you don't mind taking a little longer it really works fine. You can just feed & return through your backhoe lines. If it were my dime I would by a good engine driven splitter.
A) keep the debris from my tractor
B) not put hours on my tractor
C)Not have to listen to the tractor run at PTO Speed
D) not that it bothers me that much but Gas is cheaper than Diesel currently
E) The price isn't that much different
I could think of more I'm sure. The 3pt job does have its pro's too.

/ Anybody-2310 w/ 3point log splitter? #4  
I'm not sure how the Massey is set up, but I had a Kubota BX 2230 and ran a 3 ph logsplitter from it. The hyd. lines went from the splitter to the quick disconnects for the front loader. That was a 22 hp machine with I believe a 5.5 gpm. hyd. pump. It cycled very slowly. I now run the same splitter from a 30 hp B7800. Cycle time picked up a lot with the hyd. pump putting out over 9 gpm. The nice thing about a splitter that runs off of your tractor is the fact that nobody (family, friends, etc.) will be able to come hitch your splitter up to their truck and "borrow"(aka destroy) it. They will need your tractor also. These things are champs in my opinion. I have yet to put anything on it that it wouldn't split. Just make sure your 3 ph raises high enough for the proper clearance if your splitter is on legs. That was one of the issues with my BX2230. Not so with the B7800.
Hope this helps, my friend.
Pat

/ Anybody-2310 w/ 3point log splitter? #5  
I have a log splitter but it is set up on it's own trailer axle and includes motor, pump reservoir, ready to go.

This give me independant action, can use tractor for other task while splitting wood. Many times you have heavy blocks of wood that need to be moved to splitter, you can use front end loader or rear cargo lift for the job.
Also move split wood to stack.

You need 8-10hp splitter or larger with 16+ gal capacity pump so you have enough hydraulic oil volume to move cylinder back and forth under no load with some speed.

Believe tractor pump will be so slow at moving cylinder because is does not have high volume flow, that you will not be happy with setup.

Just my two cents!!

/ Anybody-2310 w/ 3point log splitter? #6  
Woody,

Does your backhoe run off a PTO-mounted hydraulic pump (as opposed to tractor hydraulics)? If so then you would get enough hydraulic flow from that pump to get good cycle time on a 3PH mounted splitter. However, as noted, you would be running your machine at PTO speed. On larger machines with more hydraulic flow this is not an issue as you can run a splitter at idle or high idle speeds no problem.

On the plus side, with a 3PH splitter do you not need to use your loader to lift large logs on to it - you just lower the splitter I-Beam to the ground and roll on the big stuff.

~paul