Anybody build a set of 3 pt discs ?

/ Anybody build a set of 3 pt discs ? #1  

milkie62

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800,Ford 801,MF 65, Kubota L305
I have a very old set of 8 foot Ford 3 pt hitch discs.Blades are getting pretty worn and need replacing.Been thinking about building a set using either my original frame or using some tube steel and making a set.I can get some new scrap pretty cheap that would fit the bill.Just would need to find a set at a dealer and stop on the weekend to take measurements and pictures.Anybody done this before.I think other than my time,I could save a bundle.

/ Anybody build a set of 3 pt discs ? #3  
Discs, bearings etc would be the biggest expense, the cost for steel shouldn't be to high. You should be able to build a good strong frame to suit your area.

/ Anybody build a set of 3 pt discs ?
I have a Miller 875 plasma cutter and a son that is graduating as a mechanical engineering tech in May.I think I am all set !

/ Anybody build a set of 3 pt discs ? #5  
my guess is one would not spend any more on a good used maybe even new, than building it,

now I realize there is a joy in building, but if you need new disks bearings spools and shafts, I would guess just that will run more than the disk would,

for example King Kutter 7.5' Professional Box Frame Disc Harrow 18-24-G-NBF by King Kutter for $1,558.97 : Rural King $1600 for a 7.5 foot tandem disk.
24 blades,

Ok I know I did not take time to find exact matches, but prices is similar,

disks Object moved $40 each X 24 = $960

axels Object moved $106 X 4 = $424

spools Object moved $70 (there would be half spools on the bearings, and end caps), say 20 for discussion, here = $1400

disks @ $960 axels @ $420 spools @ 1400 = $2780 and that is not bearings and frame,

yes you may find cheaper or lower cost parts, but just the disks will bring on close to the price of a good used, is my guess,

/ Anybody build a set of 3 pt discs ?
Did not realize all the parts added up to that much since I cannot find any catalog around since I cleaned out my pile of catalogs.Getting my 50+ yr old Ford model "J" ones apart to replace discs will be determining factor on what I do.

/ Anybody build a set of 3 pt discs ? #7  
I just bought a disc and in the process of doing that, I priced building one myself because I have all the fabrication tools and do enough volume with my steel mill to have pretty good pricing. After I priced all the materials to build equivalent to what I bought, I came out saving $100. On a $1700 (pre-tax) disc. It would've taken at least 8 - 10 hours so that wasn't worth it to me.

The implement manufacturers must be getting a screaming good deal on disc blades, bearings and shafts or they're living on a very low margin.

YMMV, that was just my experience.