Anybody ever had to R/R a fuel tank on a Ford 3000

/ Anybody ever had to R/R a fuel tank on a Ford 3000 #1  

mx842

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301, PowerKing 2414, John Deere 316, Gravely ZT HD 52
My hunt club ownes a Ford 3000 tractor and one of the guys call me yesterday and told me the fuel tank was leaking. I haven't been out there yet but was wondering what is involved in replacing the fuel tank. It's a fair ways away from me and I would like to take the right tools to do the job without making multiple trips. The guy told me that it looked like the steering wheel will have to be removed but he knows little about anything other than turning the key and mow. Any help would be appreciated as I would like to make the trip tomorrow. Thanks

/ Anybody ever had to R/R a fuel tank on a Ford 3000 #2  
I didn't remember having to remove the steering wheel to pull the tank, but yes you will as the rear cowl will have to be removed to get to the tank. Before going to all that work, check the area at the sending unit and at the lines. Also, if it is a diesel, there is a small hose at the top of the tank for the return.

/ Anybody ever had to R/R a fuel tank on a Ford 3000 #3  
Only because you said the guy isn't very mechanical, I have to ask, did anyone fill the fuel recently?

I just found out the gasket on my 3000 diesel's filler cap doesn't seal very well any more.
I filled my tank right up before the last tractor parades I went in, and by the time I trailered it to the events the tank was wet and there was drips.
I wiped everything up but by the next day more drips came out from under the body work.

So maybe just have a good look before you start tearing stuff apart. And as azbinder said, check the simple stuff first.

/ Anybody ever had to R/R a fuel tank on a Ford 3000
I ran on over to where the tractor is and the tank does have a small spot where it is seeping out on the bottom. A few weeks back one of the guys ran it out of fuel and I had to go bleed the system. While I was there, I changed out the fuel shut off valve out because it was leaking. I also changed the oil and filter and the fuel filter. The fuel filter was about packed with rusty looking stuff and some water. once all that was done I primed the system and it ran great until it ran out of fuel again.
While I was there I got it going and I made a few laps around the field with the bush hog. I guess It ran about 1/2 hour before it cut off again. While it was running it didn't seem to be running on all cylinders and it would sometimes speed up and lope back down. I figured all the air had not got out of the system yet and was about to stop and bleed the lines again when it shut down. There was a line on the bottom of the pump that has a little drip and I tried to tighten it up but it would not budge so I stopped because I was afraid it might ring the line off. Also there is some kind of plug right next to it that also seems to be leaking, it was stuck as well so I stopped.

I'm thinking that it could be loosing prime right there and is the reason for it shutting off. I'm going to try and get it to my shop where I can get a better look and where I have the tools I need to try and fix it.
I looked at that link but couldn't really get much out of what I was seeing. those drawings look close but are not exactly what I'm seeing on this tractor but thinks for the link anyway.

/ Anybody ever had to R/R a fuel tank on a Ford 3000
Only because you said the guy isn't very mechanical, I have to ask, did anyone fill the fuel recently?

I just found out the gasket on my 3000 diesel's filler cap doesn't seal very well any more.
I filled my tank right up before the last tractor parades I went in, and by the time I trailered it to the events the tank was wet and there was drips.
I wiped everything up but by the next day more drips came out from under the body work.

So maybe just have a good look before you start tearing stuff apart. And as azbinder said, check the simple stuff first.
Thanks but there is for sure a small rough spot on the bottom where I think it has rusted through. And yes when I worked on it a couple weeks ago I filled it full and they didn't use it much over an hour at the most when it ran out again. Its an old tractor and they have abused it pretty badly over the years. Some leaks on old equipment are bound to happen sooner or later but this one needs to be fixed.

/ Anybody ever had to R/R a fuel tank on a Ford 3000 #6  
I replaced the fuel tank on my Ford 3910, and it wasn't a serious problem at all. I removed the entire hood and had plenty of room to work. I also replaced the fuel shut off valve at the same time.