Anybody know about a Frostbite Grapple?

/ Anybody know about a Frostbite Grapple? #1  

fjcruiser

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5083E Kubota RTV X900
I've thought about buying one of these grapples for the 5083E for a several years. My primary use will be loading logs onto a firewood processor. I have talked my self into and out of buying one many times. I'm going to be in a position soon, where the machine I load with now is moving to a different location.
I thought I'd ask if anyone has one, experience, etc. I've seen a couple other brands that are very similar, but don't know anything about them.
I also contacted EA last week and talked to a guy for recommendations. He recommended the 66" wicked grapple. I've since watched a few videos. Woof. I'm sure I could create some fun with that thing. Not sure it would be quite as good at handling logs as the Frostbite though. They are 2x the cost of the Frostbite...

/ Anybody know about a Frostbite Grapple? #2  
I have seen a Frostbite Grapple or two here on TBN. Cannot say which thread, but someone has one. I think they look very useful. EA grapples are expen$$ive.

/ Anybody know about a Frostbite Grapple? #3  
I actually saw a Frostbite Grapple in person last year at a sawmill/lumber expo in Statesville. Very well made and engineered unit. If your primary use is loading logs I could certainly justify purchasing one. You just need to weigh the benefits versus cost of that dedicated grapple. To me it is excellent for that intended purpose.

/ Anybody know about a Frostbite Grapple? #4  
A friend has one, imho they are a good inexpensive (in the grapple world) log mover but pretty much limited to that & smaller boulders
where a full width double "lid" will move the log's equally but that's just the beginning of their list of abilities. But as you mention, that comes with a price.

/ Anybody know about a Frostbite Grapple? #5  
I have one. I like it better than a wide grapple for handling logs. But as said it is a log grapple so not as good for loose brush etc. But for logs and whole trees it is excellent I think . It is well made - better than the Igland. More grease fittings and thicker material in the important places.

2019_16.JPG

P1170913.JPG

P1170936.JPG

P1160582.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / Anybody know about a Frostbite Grapple? #6  
A couple more from when it was brand new two years ago

FrostBite1.JPG

FrostBite2.JPG

gg

/ Anybody know about a Frostbite Grapple? #7  
Some more - I have plenty :laughing:

P1160757.JPG

P1170301.JPG

P1170641.JPG

gg

/ Anybody know about a Frostbite Grapple? #8  
I hope the pictures speak for themselves. It is a great log grapple. I find a full sized grapple that most users on here are in love with are to big , heavy, and awkward for use doing work picking around in a log pile and loading with finesse in tight places. Don't get me wrong, that is not a slam, full sized grapples are great all around tools, just not designed specifically for handling logs like the FrostBite is. Just my opinion of course.

gg

/ Anybody know about a Frostbite Grapple? #9  
A friend has one, imho they are a good inexpensive (in the grapple world) log mover but pretty much limited to that & smaller boulders
where a full width double "lid" will move the log's equally but that's just the beginning of their list of abilities. But as you mention, that comes with a price.

I have a Sundown GR40 grapple, which is very similar to the Frostbite (I actually think the Frostbite is a bit better made, but having said that, what I have is built very stoutly, and I've had no problems. I'd need to be using it commercially and on a much larger tractor to really find the difference, and even that would take a while).

As Rustyiron notes, a full width, double lid grapple will "move the logs equally". However, a dedicated forestry grapple like the Frostbite, Sundown, and others, works better for picking an individual log out of a pile. The narrow profile also makes maneuvering in tight quarters significantly easier as well. It works fairly well for cleaning up after limbing or brush cutting, but it won't pick up the shorter pieces like some other grapple designs will, and it wont work for "raking" up an area like the wider, multi-tined grapples will. Forestry grapples are specialized grapples for a particular purpose, and they shine at that purpose. Other designs can run rings around them for other purposes, however.

/ Anybody know about a Frostbite Grapple? #10  
I hope the pictures speak for themselves. It is a great log grapple. I find a full sized grapple that most users on here are in love with are to big , heavy, and awkward for use doing work picking around in a log pile and loading with finesse in tight places. Don't get me wrong, that is not a slam, full sized grapples are great all around tools, just not designed specifically for handling logs like the FrostBite is. Just my opinion of course.

gg

I should have read your posts before putting my response up. You put it much better than I did. THat's exactly why I choose a forestry grapple.