Anybody still use CB's?

/ Anybody still use CB's? #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
I was thinking of installing a CB radio in my Ford F150. I used to have a magnetic antenna for my car. The ford is all aluminum, and I don't know how to put it on without drilling holes. Anybody figured out a good setup?

Thanks
Dave

/ Anybody still use CB's? #2  
Get a through the glass CB antenna. Have one on my F350 on the rear window. I have a CB in the truck, A Uniden and I use it to monitor truckers filthy mouths and talk to my wife (she has one in her Burb as well), through the glass antenna as well. We also have FM transceivers in the tractors and a base station at the farm for communication. They have some really dandy CB's out now with SSB and shortwave built in.

My best and most expensive buy was a SAT phone. They work anywhere and no dropped calls but you pay by the half minute and air time isn't cheap. I take it on out west hunts where there is limited cell service and the one I have has a built in emergency beacon too.

/ Anybody still use CB's? #3  
Can you get something to attach it in a stake pocket of the box?
It's been years, but I seem to remember Firestik (that's how they spell it) had a lot of CB install solutions

/ Anybody still use CB's? #4  
X2 on thru the glass would be the way to go without drilling any holes. I have CB and GMRS in the truck. Drilled through roof for both. Did in last truck they were in and it never leaked. Every few years, pulled them off and revealed them!

/ Anybody still use CB's? #5  
The last one I had was on a Chevy pickup and it mounted on a bracket that used the hood hinge bolts to secure it. The antenna was about a 3' and the bracket was kinda S-shaped and brought the antenna straight up over the fender just outside the footprint of the hood. It didn't interfere with anything and it was out of the way -- very similar to the fender mounted AM/FM radio antenna.

1698278116266.png

It was something like this but mine was higher up near the hinge and pretty much hidden in the pillar blind-spot.

Last edited:
   / Anybody still use CB's? #6  
I was thinking of installing a CB radio in my Ford F150. I used to have a magnetic antenna for my car. The ford is all aluminum, and I don't know how to put it on without drilling holes. Anybody figured out a good setup?

Thanks
Dave

Here is one model designed for 2015 and newer F150

There may be others.

cb.png

/ Anybody still use CB's? #7  
I'll stick with through the glass. All pressure sensative tape. You do have to tune the SWR for good transmission however. Mine looks just like an old style cell phone antennae

/ Anybody still use CB's? #8  
All my CB's went into the trash in the 90's. An utterly ruined comm band.

We went 2 meter handhelds and base stations. I put Motorola's with convert-a-comms in my off road and hunting rigs.

If you could hit a repeater, you could get almost anywhere.

/ Anybody still use CB's? #10  
Trucks have stake pockets.

Not that I’d recommend it, it sounds like there is better ways, but they make a bracket that attaches to your 3rd brake light. It’s often used for mounting warning beacons.