Anyone add a trailer camera to an OEM dash display?

/ Anyone add a trailer camera to an OEM dash display? #1  

Travelover

Elite Member
Tractor
B7100
I pull a small travel trailer and I've found that it is really handy to feed the camera video feed from the back of the trailer to the Pioneer head unit in my SUV. I've got it wired so I can just switch the video input from the trailer to the back up camera with an A/B switch. The head unit automatically senses the camera input and displays that image instead of the the other touch screen menu options.

I'm about to buy a Toyota Highlander and I'm wondering if OEM head units use the same triggering logic as the Pioneer. If so, it should be easy to wire the trailer camera to display on the dash. If they trigger differently, I may need to figure out how to make it switch between cameras.

Anyone messed with adding a second camera?

/ Anyone add a trailer camera to an OEM dash display?
OK, I can tell from the overwhelming response everyone is clamoring to hear more about this. :laughing:

I discovered that the head units come in two flavors. The after market units sense a camera input and automatically display the image. The OEM units (at least Toyota), depend on a 12 volt input from the reverse switch to go into a display mode. So, to fool the OEM unit into thinking it is in reverse, you need to wire a switch to put 12 volts to the sensing wire on the head unit. You could, for instance, install a switch to allow the backup camera to check on a trailer hitch while towing, or add a second trailer camera like I want to do. Rock crawlers add cameras underneath.

/ Anyone add a trailer camera to an OEM dash display? #3  
I have not done this, but I will follow with interest. Sure beats the wife saying "keep coming" then the CRASH! and " Okay you went to far."

/ Anyone add a trailer camera to an OEM dash display? #4  
I have no toyota experience. I know with GMs, it's a little more complicated. I wanted to do the same, but I'd have to get a "lockpick" to unlock the radio and add additional inputs. It'd be like $350. Then I'd have to add the camera, wiring, plugs, etc. All in all, I punted and am getting the camera that my trailer (forest river camper) is "prewired" for........a Furrion wireless unit with 4" display.

/ Anyone add a trailer camera to an OEM dash display?
I have no toyota experience. I know with GMs, it's a little more complicated. I wanted to do the same, but I'd have to get a "lockpick" to unlock the radio and add additional inputs. It'd be like $350. Then I'd have to add the camera, wiring, plugs, etc. All in all, I punted and am getting the camera that my trailer (forest river camper) is "prewired" for........a Furrion wireless unit with 4" display.
I guess every manufacturer is a little different. I previously had a separate dash mounted monitor, but it is nice to use the big built in monitor if it is possible - a lot easier to see detail. Is that a cop behind me or a guy with a light bar.........heh

/ Anyone add a trailer camera to an OEM dash display? #6  
I guess every manufacturer is a little different. I previously had a separate dash mounted monitor, but it is nice to use the big built in monitor if it is possible - a lot easier to see detail. Is that a cop behind me or a guy with a light bar.........heh
Agreed. I couldn't get past the cost increase. 350 to add an input......Naw. maybe I could hack an input and an "I'm in reverse" switch, but I can't bring myself to do that to such a new (expensive!) truck.

Good luck, regardless.