Anyone build a pasture renovator/aerator?

/ Anyone build a pasture renovator/aerator? #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
Anyone use a renovator/aerator similar to this one?

5footaerator.jpg

I found this one on Thompson Aeration Equipment and it looks like they sell parts and kits for making your own.

I have 6 acres of horse pasture that could use some regular aeration and renovation and I've been looking at some of the different types. I know the whole argument of core versus slicing, so I don't want to get into that argument. I've seen a number of the ranchers doing their pastures using a Hay King brand aerator that's similar to the picture posted. But all of those are 8- 12' wide and stupidly expensive. I have a 38 HP tractor and I'm thinking if I built a 6' wide one, it would be perfect for my needs.

I'll contact Thompson Aeration this week and see if I can get some pricing on the parts, to help figure comparative costs.

/ Anyone build a pasture renovator/aerator? #2  
I'm interested in your progress, sounds like a useful tool to have.

/ Anyone build a pasture renovator/aerator?
I'm interested in your progress, sounds like a useful tool to have.

I got some pricing from Thompson Aeration Equipment on parts to build a 5.5' wide aerator similar to the picture, and the parts (minus the 4" tubing I'd have to fab to mount everything) is about $2700 plus shipping. Ouch!!! I guess I'm back to looking for a used one. A pasture aerator seems to be a disproportionately expensive implement, compared to a disk harrow or rotary cutter. It must be due to the lower demand.

/ Anyone build a pasture renovator/aerator? #4  
What?! It looks so simple.

/ Anyone build a pasture renovator/aerator? #5  
They use something like that around here for chopping corn stalks after harvest. Does a great job and every time I look at one I think it would be a good thing for a pasture in fall, especially if you put a little seed down afterwards.

/ Anyone build a pasture renovator/aerator? #7  
I have a woods 72' turf renovator. It is built like a tank and also has a seed box for distribution

Attachments

• seeder.png
    seeder.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 2,878
   / Anyone build a pasture renovator/aerator?

I've looked at the pluggers and the ETA model is the top of the line for sure. However, I consider a plugger to be more for lawns. I think with a pasture aerator, you want it to create a little more soil disruption. I'm on black clay with Bermuda as the primary forage and Bermuda seems to do well when you really fracture the soil and prune the runners. I'm not ruling out a plugger, but one of the aerway or similar renovators seems to me to be the tool what I'm after if I can find one at a reasonable price.

/ Anyone build a pasture renovator/aerator? #9  
I got some pricing from Thompson Aeration Equipment on parts to build a 5.5' wide aerator similar to the picture, and the parts (minus the 4" tubing I'd have to fab to mount everything) is about $2700 plus shipping. Ouch!!! I guess I'm back to looking for a used one. A pasture aerator seems to be a disproportionately expensive implement, compared to a disk harrow or rotary cutter. It must be due to the lower demand.

Like you I've got horse paddocks. I bought a ballast roller with aerator spikes (which are removable) for around A$450.00. Sure, it was made in China but I only use it once a year. I filled it with water and a litre of anti-freeze.

Attachments

• B.Roller.3.jpg
    B.Roller.3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,347
  • B.Roller.1.jpg
    B.Roller.1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,006