Snow Attachments Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue?

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #31  
Here you go:

tumblr_lvtcitO3vN1qctkcl.jpg

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #32  
Yep that is some creative engineering for sure.

On a more mundane level, here are pictures of a wooden / metal V plow I made about 10 years ago. UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_503.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_501.jpg
Here in Central VA we just do not get the really deep snows that last all winter so this works quite well on our mile long dirt road. It will handle 10" pretty well with my 35 hp Branson. The track is about 10' wide. For years we had an angled blade that mounted directly to another farm tractor. That was more versatile, but in deep snows would push the front of the tractor around as it was only a 2wd tractor. Direct mount is much stronger than the loader mount.

On your V you could get by with adding 3/4 plywood to the sides. Use treated plywood and keep it oiled and the snow will not stick. W Jones

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #34  
Here's an example of what used plows go for in my area:
Ted Balmforth - I have a nice plow for sale, it has a joy... | Facebook

I'd 2nd that.

Around here you can pick up an old truck plow for $100-200. Probably a busted pump, but you dont need lift & can either use tractor hydraulics for angle or make it manual angle.

My first home built plow as a light manual angle truck plow. The new one was a new setup. Truck plow on a SSQA frame. No float on the plow itself & I really miss that. Floating the loader ends poorly. Huge gouge in the gravel & the tractor front end a foot in the air in quick order. Likely to rebuild the plow to SSQA mount to add float at some point. My old yellow plow had native float. But it also stuck out to far. Made maneuvering awkward & it would push the front end sideways. To much leverage when it hangs out that far.

Here in Colorado we get lots of thawing with our snow. So my gravel is rarely frozen solid. To heavy & I plow gravel as much as snow. Often it doesnt matter how light the plow is, I have to cary it on the loader rather than the ground & miss a lot of snow to avoid gravel.

Put float on the plow mount.
Keep the plow compact & as tight in to the tractor as possible.
Keep it reasonably ligh.View attachment 633190View attachment 633191View attachment 633192View attachment 633193