Snow Attachments Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue?

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue?
i've figured out you're talking about a snow plow. That often throws me as we hardly ever see one down south. Now, I'm going to look up ubiquitous and if I have anything to add, I'll get back to you.☺

I can understand your confusion, it must be disconcerting to inexplicably find yourself on a thread titled "Snow attachments and removal" Perhaps you stumbled down this rabbit hole while googling the mysterious "Heat" setting on your home thermostat...;) Love ya.

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #13  
I can understand your confusion, it must be disconcerting to inexplicably find yourself on a thread titled "Snow attachments and removal" Perhaps you stumbled down this rabbit hole while googling the mysterious "Heat" setting on your home thermostat...;) Love ya.

I must be dumber than I knew. I thought the title of the thread was "Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue?"
Now I've got to go and look up "inexplicably".

Last edited:
   / Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #14  
I can see where it would work, but I think a better idea is using the material for a land plane if you have a need to level ground or gravel.

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #15  
It would work but unless those beams are more than a foot tall the snow will quickly build up and just go over the top so it'll only be good for an inch or two of snow. The main reason why V-plows aren't popular is that once the snow banks start to build up the snow no longer has a place to go. With a regular plow you push the first few snow falls further back and then let it slow build up. As it does it encroaches the side of your road. With a V-plow it makes the banks right on the side of the road that will eventually need to be pushed back. If you get very little snow and it melts days after getting it the plow would work. If you get snow around Christmas and it sticks around until Spring, it'll probably more work that it's worth. If you want to level gravel just connect a chain to it and drag it behind your tractor. I'll work for that but it'll tend to push the gravel tot he edge of the driveway, not the center.

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #16  
I can see where it would work, but I think a better idea is using the material for a land plane if you have a need to level ground or gravel.

I didn't think of that^^^. Yes, I could really see doing that.

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #17  
I'd 2nd that.

Around here you can pick up an old truck plow for $100-200. Probably a busted pump, but you dont need lift & can either use tractor hydraulics for angle or make it manual angle.

My first home built plow as a light manual angle truck plow. The new one was a new setup. Truck plow on a SSQA frame. No float on the plow itself & I really miss that. Floating the loader ends poorly. Huge gouge in the gravel & the tractor front end a foot in the air in quick order. Likely to rebuild the plow to SSQA mount to add float at some point. My old yellow plow had native float. But it also stuck out to far. Made maneuvering awkward & it would push the front end sideways. To much leverage when it hangs out that far.

Here in Colorado we get lots of thawing with our snow. So my gravel is rarely frozen solid. To heavy & I plow gravel as much as snow. Often it doesnt matter how light the plow is, I have to cary it on the loader rather than the ground & miss a lot of snow to avoid gravel.

Put float on the plow mount.
Keep the plow compact & as tight in to the tractor as possible.
Keep it reasonably ligh. 20190314_123831.jpgIMG_20150117_153824-1.jpgIMG_20150117_153817.jpgIMG_20150117_153836-1.jpg

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #19  
Around here that will buy you a used plow for your riding mower.

portland for sale ""snow plow"" - craigslist

Bruce
The yellow plow was $100 around here. Picked up an old rusty truck plow at an auction for $150 before I got the hood deal (and lack of avalible project time) on the new stainless one.

I'd imagine they are more common here in Colorado than the Pacific Northwest. But should be able to find em if you have the time & energy to hunt a bit.

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #20  
Now isn't really the best time to find a cheap snow plow. Wait a few months and the price will drop.