Anyone build their own small no till seed drill?

/ Anyone build their own small no till seed drill? #11  
Really can't answer that one, as I've never dealt with them. But, I'd guess the sharpness of the blades on what your cutting with, ground speed, and how your cutter deposits the cuttings would have a lot to do with how fine it chops it up. Making a second pass if it looks like it's not fine enough would beat cutting vines wrapped around the tiller.

Personally, on my Oats, I moldboard plowed them down, then ran a disk over them. It hasn't rained here for nearly 2 weeks. When I ran my walk behind tiller through the garden yesterday, I saw very little, if any remnants of the Oats, but definitely doing their job holding moisture. I will definitely be sowing more where the potato patch is this year after I dig them.

/ Anyone build their own small no till seed drill?
Really can't answer that one, as I've never dealt with them. But, I'd guess the sharpness of the blades on what your cutting with, ground speed, and how your cutter deposits the cuttings would have a lot to do with how fine it chops it up. Making a second pass if it looks like it's not fine enough would beat cutting vines wrapped around the tiller.

Personally, on my Oats, I moldboard plowed them down, then ran a disk over them. It hasn't rained here for nearly 2 weeks. When I ran my walk behind tiller through the garden yesterday, I saw very little, if any remnants of the Oats, but definitely doing their job holding moisture. I will definitely be sowing more where the potato patch is this year after I dig them.
Will oats do fine through the summer months? How are they with heat and inconsistent rain as we have here in north Texas in the warmer months

/ Anyone build their own small no till seed drill? #13  
Can't answer that one either. I sowed in Sept., and got the benefit of the Fall rains here.

I'm sure your local County Extension Agent could answer that, plus recommend a suitable cover for your region. Your tax money pays for that service, might as well get some benefit from it.

/ Anyone build their own small no till seed drill?
Can't answer that one either. I sowed in Sept., and got the benefit of the Fall rains here.

I'm sure your local County Extension Agent could answer that, plus recommend a suitable cover for your region. Your tax money pays for that service, might as well get some benefit from it.
Got decent germination on some cowpeas I broadcast last weekend!

Attachments

• Polish_20210524_200230880.jpg
    Polish_20210524_200230880.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 102
   / Anyone build their own small no till seed drill? #15  
.....be a heck of a lot cheaper and less time consuming to broadcast the seed with a hand spreader and set it with a drag mat. You won't get the consistency of germination but you will get a much cheaper date..
+ + +
Years ago I worked with a design engineer, soil scientist that also was an old dairy farmer.. He designed and he and I proto typed a no till over seeder in my tool and die shop... This for a major manufacturer of turf equipment..

He saying broad cast and cover will work, but typically at best 20% germination, usually less...

So the better germination rate of a seeder was worth it..
The pay back of the better germination seemed long compared to seeder price.. But cheaper and shorter in the overall time frame than less expensive options...

My 5 cents of experience...

/ Anyone build their own small no till seed drill? #16  
I`ve not actually built a drill, but I was at one time the outside service engineer of a factory that made 3D Direct Drills, that I used to go out to service and repair. Ours were big things for farmers and contractors but were basically....A large V shape hopper, Ours had two one in front of the other so you could apply fertilizer at the same time. At the bottom of each hopper were two about 1 1/2 inch steel pipes that were covered all over with about 1 1/4 inch of rubber foam. These were geared together and turned slowly allowing the seed to allowed through. Under the `rollers` were fibre glass `funnels` to catch the seed coming through the rollers. On the outlet of the funnels, rubber pipes were attached to the coulters. Now the 3D. 3D meant 3 disks. A single 9 inch disk at the front cut a slot, and two 12 inch discs, side by side and set at an angle opened the slot and this is where a pipe was that was connected to the rubber hose where the seed came through. The rollers were driven by a variable speed gearbox that was powered by a tractor size wheel at each end. Direct Drill meant the farmer could drill seed without any cultivating. Our drills had 23 coulters. One of our biggest problems was that contractors found that if they used a Mercedes Unimog, they could drill at over 20 miles per hour, they got more money, but it put a lot of strain on the tool. I hope this gives you an idea and good luck.

/ Anyone build their own small no till seed drill? #17  
.....be a heck of a lot cheaper and less time consuming to broadcast the seed with a hand spreader and set it with a drag mat. You won't get the consistency of germination but you will get a much cheaper date.. How I've always over seeded my established hayfields. Mechanized planters are way too expensive for my uses, even used and abused ones aren't cheap.
What about spreading and using a cultipacker? I have a field that I'd like to get a little more into and I've been brainstorming on how to do it. Was thinking of using a spreader and cultipacker but waiting until next spring when the ground is a little mushy.

/ Anyone build their own small no till seed drill? #18  
What about spreading and using a cultipacker? I have a field that I'd like to get a little more into and I've been brainstorming on how to do it. Was thinking of using a spreader and cultipacker but waiting until next spring when the ground is a little mushy.
Those aren't cheap either. I had the same thought and started looking for one 6'+- wide and wow!

/ Anyone build their own small no till seed drill? #19  
You may want to consider something like Renovation Clover. It's a white clover that get's 16"-18" tall. I sowed some in a mix in my hay field to provide Nitrogen, instead of applying Urea. Too many times they've called for 70-80% chance of rain, so I applied the Urea, only to get sunshine for 2-3days, and lost the Urea to the atmosphere.

At least with the clover you can let it mature, then, mow, and it will re-seed itself, and always have a cover. I sowed an area maybe 100' X 100' with the Renovation Clover to choke out Foxtail and Larkspur I got in some junk hay, then spread the manure on the field. So far this Spring, it is thick enough, the only thing else in that area is a little Fescue I sowed in with it. The only reason it is growing I figure, is because it got up before the clover could get any height to it. It's not cheap, but only requires about 2 lbs. to the acre. The seed dealer warned me that planting at the 2 lb. rate, it could become invasive, and choke everything else out. But in that one particular spot, that's exactly what I wanted.

Keep an eye on those Peas. A buddy of mine sowed some last Fall for a cover crop, but never came up, at least until this Spring. Right now, he said they are chest high. As usual, he waits too long to do anything. Now, he will have to mow them with a rotary cutter, and plow down, or till them in.

DJ54, I know that clover/legumes provide nitrogen to soil.

My question is when does a legume release the nitrogen, so that other plants can use it?

1. Is it available when the clover is growing?
2. Does the legume have to die before it is released?

I have searched for the answer many times and I am yet to see it stated in a factual manner. I think the correct answer is the legume must die, but I can not validate that.

/ Anyone build their own small no till seed drill? #20  
Those aren't cheap either. I had the same thought and started looking for one 6'+- wide and wow!

No but cheaper, plus in my case I already own both. A new spreader at TSC is around $500, here in Michigan a cultipacker is $700-1200 in the 8-12' range. On the other hand you are getting towards the price point of an older double disk drill at this point.