Anyone downsized their tractor? Compact to CUT

/ Anyone downsized their tractor? Compact to CUT #1  

HP942

Silver Member
Tractor
LS XJ2025H
New guy here. I’ve owned a John Deere 1050 (37 HP) with factory backhoe for 14 years and consider myself a “homeowner” operator. I have a 3.5 acre lot at my home and a 120 acre ”farm” where I hunt, plant food plots and clear dead trees for firewood, a few miles away. I would use the SCUT at my farm, but only for moving trees to cut firewood and maybe some brush clearing. (I have an old Ford 3000 for running the bushhog) My old tractor is getting some age and hours (1984 @ 3000 hours). I have just about finished my custom built log home and ready for a yard. I use my JD1050 at least weekly, whether it be hauling pallets of firewood, moving logs I have used in the house, blading driveway and mowing my weeds with a 6’ finish mower. Once my yard is in I’ll need a dedicated lawn mower. I am considering selling my JD and buying a subcompact tractor to use as my primary tractor and use a belly mower for the lawn. I have looked at several brands specifications on the net. Most of the 24-26 HP range tractors have close to better lift capacity than my 1050, of course I realize the subcompact will have a weight issue and will need some weight on the back.

My ideal setup would be a tractor, backhoe, loader, bucket, forks and grapple with a belly mower. I already have a box blade, rock rake and an old finish mower.

Has anyone downsized their compact tractor to a sub-compact and been happy? I sure like the look of the RK, Kioti and Kubota sub-compacts.

Last edited:
   / Anyone downsized their tractor? Compact to CUT #2  
as far as mowing goes, you'll most likely be far better off with a zero turn than a mid mount mower for that much property. As a single purpose tool, it's hard to beat a zero turn.

/ Anyone downsized their tractor? Compact to CUT #3  
I would think most would be disappointed in the "swiss army knife" type of sub-compact.Always a compromise.A dedicated mower and compact tractor would fit the bill better I.M.H.O.

/ Anyone downsized their tractor? Compact to CUT #4  
I agree the one size fits all will be a hard fit for your needs. The 1050 is a great tractor fill your "farm" needs where I think a subcompact will fall short. The smaller tires on the subs really beat you up when working uneven terrain and such. It's worth the investment to just get a dedicated lawn mower.

/ Anyone downsized their tractor? Compact to CUT #5  
I cannot imagine a 120 acre property so flat and so uncluttered that a subcompact tractor with 3" of ground clearance with the MMM attached and 9" of ground clearance with the MMM removed, would not high-center regularly crossing ruts, burrows, holes and tree debris.

Top speed on a Subcompact Tractor, due to small wheels and two-range HST transmission, is generally advertised as around 6-mph. Very tedious on 120 acres.

Buy a zero turn mower for your home. Keep the Deere 1050 for your hobby farm.

You will receive replies better tailored to your conditions if you enter your LOCATION into your T-B-N PROFILE.

Last edited:
   / Anyone downsized their tractor? Compact to CUT
I cannot imagine a 120 acre property so flat that a subcompact tractor with 3" of ground clearance with the MMM attached and 9" of ground clearance with the MMM removed, would not high-center regularly crossing ruts, burrows, holes and tree debris.

Buy a zero turn mower for your home. Keep the Deere 1050 for your hobby farm.

You will receive replies better tailored to your conditions if you enter your LOCATION into your T-B-N PROFILE.
I don’t mow at the “farm”. I have an old Ford 3000 with a bush hog for that. Mostly wooded, no large fields.

Last edited:
   / Anyone downsized their tractor? Compact to CUT #7  
I don’t mow at the “farm”. I have an old Ford 3000 with a bush hog for that. Mostly wooded, no large fields.
I expect you have confused everyone about now.

I suggest you EDIT your opening post. If you will not use the SCUT on the 120 acres, delete that extraneous information.

/ Anyone downsized their tractor? Compact to CUT #8  
I normally don't agree with Jeff on multiple topics, but I have to admit that what he is saying, is correct. Keep the big tractor for the farm. Get something for the home.... I am not a fan of zero turns.... I would get a SCUT for the homestead....far more versatile for the projects around the home.

/ Anyone downsized their tractor? Compact to CUT #9  
The smallest I'd suggest for your application would be a B2601, but the B2650/LX2610 would probably be better for the size of your properties. As mentioned above, the sub-compacts only have 2-range HST.

Mike

/ Anyone downsized their tractor? Compact to CUT #10  
Welcome to TBN.
We went from Kubota L to B year go only difference with weight elbow room have to couple extra passes when using front loader etc.,for use it was good move for we also down size our land.