Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas?

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #81  
I was wondering one day how much battery power would I need to equal a gallon of gas.

One of the simpler way to calculate this is using Brake Specific Fuel Consumption which is typically around
.5 lbs/hp/hr for gasoline.

6.2 lbs per gallon. So 6.2/.5 gives 12.4 horsepower-hours per gallon.

One hp is of course 746 watts. 12.4 horsepower-hours times 746 watt/hp gives 9250 watt/hrs.
Or 9250 watt/hrs per gallon of gasoline.

A 4ah battery has 240wh of capacity.

So...9,250/240 = 38.5. This means it would take 38.5 of the 4ah batteries to equal a gallon of gas. Damn.

That math does not compute on any scale of work.

Yes it does on some hand tools, but for something that takes longer than 15 minutes of use...gas is still better.
Now figure in how much of that energy is useless as waste heat, etc.

Last edited:
   / Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #82  
I think this is not so simple. You omit all the extraction, processing, and transportation of fossil fuels from this equation, and don’t factor in what power on the grid is from solar, wind, etc., which will vary a lot depending on where you are.

That said, I can’t imagine it makes a lot of difference either way with the kinds of small tools we’re talking about. I think most people on this discussion thread are coming from the perspective of which kind of tool works well for which kinds of jobs, not environmental impact.
Agreed, but you were the one touting "no emissions"..

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #83  
Never got rid of my gas ones even though I don't use them that often.

The battery string trimmer is just so much easier for my most frequent uses - where it's usually intermittent trimming around mailboxes and sign posts while I'm mowing. Just a lot easier/quicker to stop the tractor and trim while I'm already there than go back to trim after mowing. Having said that when I'm going to trim along fence lines or use the trimmer to "mow" an area I'm going to go with the gas version.

For most pruning I've stopped using chainsaws altogether and will use a battery powered reciprocating saw with an appropriate blade (pruning for live wood, standard wood/demo blade for dead wood). Though here again if I need to start dropping larger trees I've still got the gas chainsaw.

However with more cordless compressors, and general power packs capable of running higher current corded tools I've started looking more at pneumatic and corded tools.

So I guess I've found a mix of different tools that do what I need - and I appreciate that some electric tools (corded and cordless) are getting better sealing/design for use in less than ideal environments as I can't/don't always stop for rain. 🤷‍♂️

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #84  
Now figure in how much of that energy is useless as waste heat, etc.

I can't think of a way to calculate this since dewalt or any battery company dosen't publishes their efficiency %.

I know you don't get 240wh out of a 4ah battery. But exactly how much I don't know.

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #85  
I was wondering one day how much battery power would I need to equal a gallon of gas.

One of the simpler way to calculate this is using Brake Specific Fuel Consumption which is typically around
.5 lbs/hp/hr for gasoline.

6.2 lbs per gallon. So 6.2/.5 gives 12.4 horsepower-hours per gallon.

One hp is of course 746 watts. 12.4 horsepower-hours times 746 watt/hp gives 9250 watt/hrs.
Or 9250 watt/hrs per gallon of gasoline.

A 4ah battery has 240wh of capacity.

So...9,250/240 = 38.5. This means it would take 38.5 of the 4ah batteries to equal a gallon of gas. Damn.

That math does not compute on any scale of work.

Yes it does on some hand tools, but for something that takes longer than 15 minutes of use...gas is still better.
Interesting. Let me throw something else into the mix. A gallon of gas around here is $3.89 and a gallon of electricity is about $0.63. 😁

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #86  
I have a big box full of Makita Drills saws, etc. Drills are always good for 1 and a half holes. Batteries cost more than a new Drill.
Whitby Office will not help. So much for Brand Loyalty.

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #87  
Interesting. Let me throw something else into the mix. A gallon of gas around here is $3.89 and a gallon of electricity is about $0.63. 😁
9,250 wh = 9.25kwh

9.25 * .63 = $5.83. In the example above, it would cost $5.83 to charge 38.5 4ah batteries at your cost.

$5.83 > $3.89.

Gas so far is cheaper and more efficient.

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #88  
   / Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #89  
Not me! Although I don’t miss the two stroke exhaust.
Yes, this was you...

I'm a homeowner with a 16 acre property. Last summer I bought EGO electric power equipment, including a ZTR mower, leaf blower, and weed whacker. I also own a New Holland 33HP diesel tractor with a flail mower attached, a Stihl chainsaw, and a Stihl weed wacker (string trimmer). Short answer? I don't foresee going back.

In my opinion, the EGO weed wacker is far superior to the Stihl gas-powered weed waker. The EGO tool starts more easily, is a little quieter, emits no fumes ... and is very powerful. No more messing around with fuel mixing. I have not kept careful track of how long it runs on a charge, but this hasn't been much of an issue for me. Maybe it would be for a lawn care pro.

The electric blower is the only blower I've ever owned, so I cannot compare it to gas blowers. It is very powerful.

The ZTR mower? More of a mixed bag. I don't use my diesel rig much anymore, except to cut very tall grass and brush. The ZTR is quieter, quite powerful, emits no fumes, and is far more maneuverable. I love not having to mess with fuel. But then ... it has virtually no suspension other than what's under the seat. So it's a pretty jarring ride. And I do worry about getting it serviced when the time comes. It is very expensive for what you get, and about half that cost probably is tied up in the batteries (not in an otherwise better mower). I'm not unhappy I bought it, and on balance do prefer using it to using the diesel tractor and flail mower.

One nice benefit of the electric equipment is that I can use the batteries during a power outage. EGO sells a battery powered generator that accepts the power tool batteries, and also less expensive devices that can be used with a single battery to power a laptop, recharge a smart phone, etc

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #90  
I jumped in on the electric blower, chainsaw and weed wacker eagerly, thinking they would replace the Stihl gas pieces I previously run.ben there.
Fast forward to today and I am once again back to my Stihl gas blower, Stihl gas weed walkers and never really left my Stihl & makita gas chainsaws.
The electric tools are all 60V DeWalt. Nothing wrong with them. They all work fine, but after running both in a commercial business for 2+ years, I really only use the electric weed wacker periodically for light jobs I know will be done in under 15 minutes.

Not disappointed, just have found gas revs higher & keeps running when far away from the truck for hours on a full tank. Gas chainsaws are screamers and will cut circles around the electric. Electric only really good for quick 10 minute pruning jobs. Gas blower just keeps on running & running.

Anyone else try electric, go back to gas?
Yes, been there, tried those electric things , tossed them in the corner out of sight. Electric works and ok for the not too serious about work types, however if one wants to get anything done and efficiently, then it is back to the gas models.