Anyone have a j series backhoe?

/ Anyone have a j series backhoe? #1  

TOSA Ranch

I'm still bouncing around between the J series, G series and a Mahindra 3016. We only have 1.5 acres to work but there is A LOT of work to be done. I can't afford to buy a bigger machine with a hoe so it's down to whether I get a j2023h with a hoe or a bigger machine with just a loader. I have some trenching to do but when that is all done I don't know that I'll use the hoe much. On the other hand, I have 100 yards of dirt being delivered to level the property and need to build an elevated RV access that will be about 150 feet long as well as some swale improvement.

I think the J can handle it but it will take forever. A little concerned that the j doesn't have enough weight to drag a box with the rippers extended. I can always rent a trencher I suppose. I don't know what I need LOL!

Any help would be appreciated.

/ Anyone have a j series backhoe? #2  
TOSA Ranch: I know what it's like to bounce around trying to find that good middle ground with the tractor. I've read so many tractor reviews I can't remember who has what, what are good vs bad points, etc.

Here's a bit of advice one of the other members gave me regarding a backhoe: Rent a machine and get what you need to have done. It'll give you a chance to save some money, see what a machine of X size will do, and then you can make a better judgement on what to purchase - if you actually need the backhoe or not.

I've seen quite a few photos of tractor backhoes sitting on the ground slowly turning to whatever piece of rusted metal and broken hydraulics they will. Similar to old sickle bar mowers. Some people use those implements quite often, others don't.

It's hard for the normal guy to come across the kind of money to purchase a high dollar tool like a backhoe. At least, it is for me. Maybe rental would work out for both of us? Who knows? I'm all for saving some money myself. Especially with retirement right around the corner.

/ Anyone have a j series backhoe? #3  
Hi Tosa ranch
I think the backhoe is a must it works great.
For me it doubles what the tractor can do,
Just my opinion.
Cheers
100_0448.JPG100_0450.JPG

/ Anyone have a j series backhoe? #4  
I have a bit more acreage than you, but I could not be without my backhoe. I use it almost daily at some chore or other. Just the weight of it doubles the traction of the small B26 when pushing up brush and such. I have used it to trench in sprinkler systems for the yard, added in some extra water hydrants hundreds of feet from the house and barn, dug up rocks, stumps, trees etc. I even use the hoe with the hydraulic thumb to lift out fence post when removing fencing. Just a couple days ago, my neighbor gave me a chicken house with fencing of about 150 feet with 4x4 post ever 4 feet and tons of screws. I used the hoe to remove the bottom boards from the post as the screws were not removable due to rust, pulled up the post, ripped off some of the old wire. I got over 20 nice 4x4 post and lots of 2x4 and 2x6 lumber out of it which might not have been so easy with the back hoe. Just so much more use than just digging when you really apply the hoe to its full capacity.
I also use it when planting trees and shrubs, lifting heavy objects into my dump bed on the RTV etc. When putting in another garden spot, I used it to dig down about 18" and get out the large rocks (I have lots of large rocks hidden under a little dirt) after failing to get them out using my boxblade (I broke 2 of the scarifier teeth on big rocks). As I said, lots of uses for a TLB.

If you can afford it, go for it. A backhoe makes a tractor into a multi-use vehicle.

/ Anyone have a j series backhoe?
Thanks guys for your help. fortunately for me, my property sits on a silt bed from the Sacramento River (from before they started putting dams in). There isn't a single rock in my soil as far as I can tell. I dug 500 feet worth of fence posts by hand and didn't hit anything but a clay shelf that sits about 2 ft down. I can certainly see the benefits of that hoe but with my cap being $20,000 I would like a slightly bigger tractor than the LS J series. Have you guys ever used the 3PH mounted PTO driven trenchers they have out now? Saw a video on YouTube that was pretty amazing. Knowing the fact that my soil is rock free, I think I might be able to get away with something like this. Of course that could very well be my ignorance talking. Called the local rental yards and no one carries them though. Wonder if that means anything...hahahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet