Anyone have a Yamaha Terrapro?

/ Anyone have a Yamaha Terrapro? #1  

BTackett

Gold Member
I am looking into a four wheeler for around the farm, property and could use the 3pt and PTO for other things. Just wanting to know if anyone has one and what you do with it. Pictures ! Pictures!

thanks,
Bill

/ Anyone have a Yamaha Terrapro? #2  
I used to sell them. they have limited PTO power. The finishing mower worked better than the shredder that they offered. I think due to the higher blade speed with smaller blades.

It would work much better nowadays with the bigger engines offered and liquid cooling.

What would you want to put behind one?

/ Anyone have a Yamaha Terrapro?
Probably a small finish mower for rough grass, adapt a small tiller, maybe a plow/disc. I guess this little unit would handle those attachments?

Bill

/ Anyone have a Yamaha Terrapro? #4  
I'd think your tractor would be far superior to the tasks mentioned.

/ Anyone have a Yamaha Terrapro? #6  
They only made them for one year. I had one for about 5 years and it was great. The PTO finish mower on the back was a Woods 4' finish mower with a 2 pt. hookup to the Terrapro. It was by far the best riding mowing machine I've ever been on. Take the mower off the back, pull two pins, and it made a great 2 wheel drive 4 wheeler to boot. The only downside was that the 350cc engine lacked a bit of power for mowing if you let the grass get too high. I think I recall the manual saying that it only put out about 14 PTO hp. If they made one of those in a big bore, like my 750 KingQuad, in 4X4 I think it would be awesome! It make a joke of the Swisher pull behind finish mower I tried before buying the Yamaha Terrapro. Besides doing a rather poor job, the engines on the Swisher never seemed to even last one full season before being completely shot. Swisher blamed it on running in dirty air all the time. Duh!

/ Anyone have a Yamaha Terrapro? #7  
your right dargo with the big bore quads they have today a pto would work good. my alternator kit i bought for my hpx had a adaptor for something to mount to the flywheel to run something else like a pump or something maybe sisne i don't run it in the mud anymore i should look into making a pto for it. and putting my alternator back on it too i miss all that power i had.

/ Anyone have a Yamaha Terrapro? #8  
Another big plus if they did it now with a bigger engine would be the water cooled engine. The terrapro's were just underpowered IMHO.

Dargo, the "rough" cutter they sold did not work as well as the finish cutter on the grasses I tried to cut. It just didn't have the ooomph. The finish mower would cut thru the same grass.

If I remember right, they were sold in 1985. I'm thinking the price with a cutter was nearly $5000 back then. I didn't have a clue about farm use of ATV's except that farmer's used them to get around. One phenomona that happened, when the smaller tank 12V sprayers got popular, I know many farmers bought ATV's just to spot spray and ended up telling me they didn't know how they ever got along without one.

/ Anyone have a Yamaha Terrapro? #9  
I love mine, worked great today, the drag link broke on my john deere mower, so I just used the terrapro to finish mowing. Here is a attached pic, I have taken good care of it.

Attachments

• 100_2633.jpg
    100_2633.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 13,251
  • 100_2631.jpg
    100_2631.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 17,917
   / Anyone have a Yamaha Terrapro? #10  
That's a clean machine. Glad to see it still works 25 yrs old.