Anyone have difficulty engaging/disengaging 4wd in a BX series? If so, possible solution....

/ Anyone have difficulty engaging/disengaging 4wd in a BX series? If so, possible solution.... #11  
I wonder. It's possible that the tires could be adding to this problem. Are the tires OEM. Was this a brand new tractor from the dealer.

There could be a missmatch if after market tires were added and did not correspond to what was recommended.

/ Anyone have difficulty engaging/disengaging 4wd in a BX series? If so, possible solution.... #12  
I wonder. It's possible that the tires could be adding to this problem. Are the tires OEM. Was this a brand new tractor from the dealer.

There could be a missmatch if after market tires were added and did not correspond to what was recommended.
Maybe..... but not that I've noticed. My Bx came with OEM turf tires and this past year I finally got around to switching to aftermarket industrial's (OTR). I've not noticed a difference in frequency of the 4wd lever sticking.

/ Anyone have difficulty engaging/disengaging 4wd in a BX series? If so, possible solution.... #13  
Have BX2370 with R4 tires. Have some low spots in yard when I mow and the low spots have standing water in them, I will shift on the fly into 4wd. After powering thru the water, I'll shift back to 2wd. If stopped (loader ops) sometimes need to rock tractor. Mowing thru water leaves ruts but, I can roll it a few days later.
20200401_152545.jpg

/ Anyone have difficulty engaging/disengaging 4wd in a BX series? If so, possible solution.... #14  
Have BX2370 with R4 tires. Have some low spots in yard when I mow and the low spots have standing water in them, I will shift on the fly into 4wd. After powering thru the water, I'll shift back to 2wd. If stopped (loader ops) sometimes need to rock tractor. Mowing thru water leaves ruts but, I can roll it a few days later.
View attachment 714047
Do you have any post about that attachment?

/ Anyone have difficulty engaging/disengaging 4wd in a BX series? If so, possible solution.... #15  
   / Anyone have difficulty engaging/disengaging 4wd in a BX series? If so, possible solution....
   / Anyone have difficulty engaging/disengaging 4wd in a BX series? If so, possible solution.... #17  
This has been a minor problem since 4WD was invented. Due to curves, the front wheels travel farther than the rear wheels, putting a bind on the connect/disconnect mechanism between the front and rear.

Bruce

/ Anyone have difficulty engaging/disengaging 4wd in a BX series? If so, possible solution....
I'm glad you got it fixed closer to your satisfaction but why did you have to replace two universals and a spline shaft? Was this a warranty thing? A recall perhaps?
In my other post, I started getting a vibration this spring I could feel in seat and kinda grinding/loud sound when in 4wd. I use the 4wd quite often when mowing, have some banks and small inclines I mow. I bought the universals because when I took shaft off, one of them seemed to binding ever so slightly. I put them on, still no change in the growling sound in 4wd. Dropped off at dealer-they tore front axle apart, everything good there, so the only thing they could think was the spline shaft the 2 universals slide on( mind you, I swear it was coming from transmission where driveshaft from front went in( I went underneath and recorded noise while tractor was on jackstands ). They put the new shaft on with the 2 universals I bought, and noise was gone. Dealer tried to get it covered under warranty, but to no avail-Kubota said powertrain is internal, not external components. Dealer said they had 6 hours labor into tearing front axle apart, but only charged me 1.5 hrs. labor plus the new shaft. I looked in owners manual, and nowhere does it say to lubricate/grease splines of that shaft, and there are no grease fittings on part of universal that slides up/down the splines. Believe that is a flaw on Kubotas' end. If there was a grease fitting or mention in manual to lubricate the splines, it would've been done...

OEM turf tires on it from new, then I bought a set of the ag tread (no R4 for the 1870) on Kubota rims from dealer-I used them past 2 winters and whenever I do some ground work. Left them on since Late July after moving dirt/making driveway for my son when mowing lawn. Just switched fronts back to turfs so they don't catch the 60" deck that I put on....

/ Anyone have difficulty engaging/disengaging 4wd in a BX series? If so, possible solution.... #20  
Check the linkage going to the 4wd selector lever to ensure everything is tight. I had the same issue on my BX2660 and it was the linkage near the gear case that had come loose. It may not look like it, but you can get a socket on the bolt to tighten it.