anyone have laying hens????

/ anyone have laying hens???? #11  
Yeah, I'd have to admit they're worth it. I have an issue with the occasional bird that poops on my truck, but that's what the stew pot is for. And of course pooping on the tractor is a capital offense!

We eat the eggs. Atkins, you know. And the excess eggs are easily sold for $2 a dozen. Free range eggs are popular. We keep one full sized rooster to protect the hens from wayward dogs (though our magnificent Buff Orpington rooster will have to be culled as he is not recovering from wounds incurred in taking on the fox my wife shot last month) and a few bantam roosters just for fun. The banties are hand tame and quite comical. Plus the chickens make great playthings for the lambs.

When the egg production drops off after a couple of years the hens are butchered. Tough by that age, so they are used in soups and stews. Hope this helps

/ anyone have laying hens???? #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is it worth it? )</font>
YES! Once you have a supply of fresh eggs, you'll never go back to store bought. I sell my extra eggs at work for $2/doz. It is enough to cover my feed costs.

This year I hatched out my own chicks, so I have a 50/50 mix of Roos and Hens. Early this summer, I will be butchering the excess roos. It will be the first time i've done it so we will have to see how it goes.

From what I have read, chickens are the most efficient livestock at turning grain to meat. The breeds that are grown for meat production are ready in about 8 weeks! The dual-purpose chickens (egg and meat) take about 13-18 weeks.

It is addicting and a fun hobby. You can see some of my set up here. NH Chickens

/ anyone have laying hens???? #13  
I have to admit I have thought about that. In fact, raising cattle or chickens it seemed to me the same way. If you decide you don't want to do it anymore it is easier to eat your losses /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif as opposed to if you were raising ferrets or some other useless animal /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. The only difference between cattle and chickens is how many people you can invite to the BBQ. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike

/ anyone have laying hens???? #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I will be butchering the excess roos. It will be the first time i've done it so we will have to see how it goes.
)</font>

We used to pluck the birds and butcher them in the traditional way, but now we just skin them and remove the meat from the carcass leaving the offal inside to be disposed of in one neat package. To see how we do it, visit our slaughter page

Pete

/ anyone have laying hens???? #15  
Pete,
Great site! I was thinking of skinning my chickens as we don't eat the skin anyway. If you were to do this in June, how would you cool them down?

/ anyone have laying hens???? #16  
Butchering in June? Hmmm, never thought of that! We wait till colder weather as it's much easier to filet when the birds are cold. Not to mention there are no flies in cold weather! Pete

/ anyone have laying hens???? #17  
Sorry, Todd!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I didn't mean to treat you like a dummy, but you'd be surprised how many e-mails I get from people asking similar questions, and I find out they don't have a rooster!!!

But Boondox's website is a great source of info, I should have sent you there in the first place!!!

/ anyone have laying hens????
jist a dum,dum dum ..dummy hear???huh whatd u say???.......
dat's ok i understand ......jist wante to know how long i kin drive round with d nests in d bak o my tk as dave adopted d heeeey in d bak a mi twuk as a nestiin grownd /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks and all d luv baak atchoooo!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

scuse me and bleessmmmeeee222 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ anyone have laying hens???? #19  
Worth it? Worth it from what aspect? I could pretty much buy eggs at similar or lower cost than raising my own eggs. But when you put them to a taste test there is a big differance. Also knowledge that you raised the animals that are providing for you. When the chickens stop laying they go into a pot for soup.

For me it also provides another way to spend time with my 8 year old son. We have our nightly animal chores and while we only have to walk a few hundred feet out to the stable to feed them., We have great chats on the way out there. Life, sports or we stop to watch the nightime sky.

/ anyone have laying hens???? #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( But when you put them to a taste test there is a big differance.)</font>

Really? I suppose so just never equated an egg to a vine ripened tomato before. Actually, the more I think about it the more I get curious. Might have to try a "real" egg one day to prove it to myself.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( For me it also provides another way to spend time with my 8 year old son. We have our nightly animal chores and while we only have to walk a few hundred feet out to the stable to feed them., We have great chats on the way out there. Life, sports or we stop to watch the nightime sky. )</font>

Above and beyond the taste difference, this appeals to me a lot. My girls are a little young yet but I can see in a couple of years enjoying that same time with them. Even if every egg tasted like dirt it would still be worth it. Thank you.

Mike