anyone have Northern Tool 3pt hitch wood Splitter?

/ anyone have Northern Tool 3pt hitch wood Splitter? #11  
Yes I have one and it sucks on the tractor. I put wheels on it to move it around and made the hoses longer. (use 3/4" hose)
I have used it on the Cat 311 excavator and even made 2 QC and aux spool on the Excavator (33 GPM # 4500 PSI) It cycles in 3 seconds- way too fast........
It does work well on a Ford 3400 (35 HP) 12 GPM
And it also works well on Kubota B 21 about 5 seconds to retract.

It works well- plenty of power and will split anything I've put on it.
It needs a "tray" to hold the split wood so you don't have to bend over.
I would like to see another valve with a detent on the split cycle so you can engage the ram and walk away to get another log- a lil dangerous if you are not carefull.

The 4 way slip on wedge sucks- don't waist your money.

Attachments

• IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 258
   / anyone have Northern Tool 3pt hitch wood Splitter? #12  
Teamfold said:
Yes I have one and it sucks on the tractor.
The 4 way slip on wedge sucks- don't waist your money.

What happen to that wedge in the picture. I've never seen wood do that to steel.

/ anyone have Northern Tool 3pt hitch wood Splitter? #13  
I've had one for lmost 20 years and it works fine. I usually just lay it on the ground and use it with long hoses. The cycle time could be a little faster but it is ok. I run it on a Ford 2120.

Andy

/ anyone have Northern Tool 3pt hitch wood Splitter? #14  
the 4 way slip on wedge is too big and the ram hits it. - My fault for not paying attentioin. The 4 way rides up and gets all hung up in the wood.
Time to modify.
Mike

/ anyone have Northern Tool 3pt hitch wood Splitter? #15  
I've had the Northern 3 point splitter for a little over a year now. It works pretty well but I agree it needs a tray to catch the split pieces and its also a little clumsy to hook up. I made a special table to rest the splitter so it doesn't tip over.

I also purchased the 4 way splitter and mine looks exactly like the one pictured. It speeds up the splitting of the softer woods but I guess we just can't let the cylinder extend all of the way so as to avoid the damage.

If I had it to do all over again I would spend the extra money and get a stand alone unit.