Anyone Know the Purpose of These Plugged Hood Openings?

/ Anyone Know the Purpose of These Plugged Hood Openings? #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
There are two holes, plugged with orange rubber caps in the hood of my L6060 ROPS model. I thought they might have a purpose on a cabbed tractor but the L5460 with cab on the showroom floor does not have them. While looking around the dealers lot, I noticed some Lxx60 series tractors have them and some do not. Also, these plugs are absent in the literature photos for the Lxx60's. I suppose they could have been edited out for appearance reasons though.

P1060474b.jpg P1060475a.jpg

Anyone know their purpose?

/ Anyone Know the Purpose of These Plugged Hood Openings? #2  
Speed holes. Open 'em up for MO POWA.

All kidding aside, I'm kinda wondering what the recessed/flat area on the hood is for also. Is it at all possible that some sort of gauges or instrumentation could be added on the hood for monitoring engine performance in some extra way?

/ Anyone Know the Purpose of These Plugged Hood Openings? #3  
You're missing a couple options on yours. Notice the 2 additional buttons in this picture.

Attachments

• 41omupNgiVL.jpg
    41omupNgiVL.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 302
   / Anyone Know the Purpose of These Plugged Hood Openings?
Speed holes. Open 'em up for MO POWA.

All kidding aside, I'm kinda wondering what the recessed/flat area on the hood is for also. Is it at all possible that some sort of gauges or instrumentation could be added on the hood for monitoring engine performance in some extra way?

It would be a nice spot to put an oil pressure / battery voltage gauge console if you could find one to fit the recess. I've never seen any option like that from Kubota.

The hole on the left is the right size for a 12V power outlet but it's an odd place to put one.

/ Anyone Know the Purpose of These Plugged Hood Openings? #5  
Does a cabbed tractor use one for wiper wires?

/ Anyone Know the Purpose of These Plugged Hood Openings? #6  
You're missing a couple options on yours. Notice the 2 additional buttons in this picture.

That was pretty good. :laughing:

/ Anyone Know the Purpose of These Plugged Hood Openings? #7  
Wild guess but possibly tooling holes for assembly. Like the core holes in an engine block that support the core in the casting that ends up as the water jacket.

/ Anyone Know the Purpose of These Plugged Hood Openings? #8  
Wiper & washer assembly. I have them populated on my L4060 & they were options I think. At least the rear wiper was. Fuzzy on the front wiper now that I try to remember.

/ Anyone Know the Purpose of These Plugged Hood Openings? #9  
Just dug up a photo. Can't see where the wiper mounts really, but you can see the wiper. So either a mounting holes. Or possibly a clearance hole so the hood doesn't hit the wiper when raised.20161207_104352.jpg

/ Anyone Know the Purpose of These Plugged Hood Openings?
Just dug up a photo. Can't see where the wiper mounts really, but you can see the wiper. So either a mounting holes. Or possibly a clearance hole so the hood doesn't hit the wiper when raised.View attachment 521672

The L5460 I looked at on the showroom floor appeared to have the wiper motor mounted to the cab. The clearance issue makes sense though. Maybe the small hole is for the washer fluid hose. I'll have to look more closely next time I'm at the dealer. Thanks Fallon.

BTW, any snow in the mountains out there yet? I'm driving from Phoenix to Denver next week and looking forward to seeing Pikes Peak.