Anyone level their lawn with sand?

/ Anyone level their lawn with sand? #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
We laid sod back in April. The ground was leveled well before we laid it and we rolled the sod twice. It wasn稚 really bad but mowing at 3/4 with a reel mower you could sure see the high and low spots.

Decided to level it with sand. Entire project took about six hours and 5 yards of sand with me doing the work by myself. Without the BX to shuttle the sand around it would have been a lot harder.

This side I just spread the sand on today. This picture is just it raked in and not smoothed with the leveling tool.

9C8959BB-AACB-400D-B66D-D54958A299CB.jpeg

I did the exact same thing to the other half of the yard two days ago and it has already grown in this much.

07C0866E-FA92-4797-8EA4-C7B9B14F7D9A.jpeg

I can稚 wait until I get to mow again and see what a difference it made.

/ Anyone level their lawn with sand? #2  
We laid sod back in April. The ground was leveled well before we laid it and we rolled the sod twice. It wasn稚 really bad but mowing at 3/4 with a reel mower you could sure see the high and low spots.

Decided to level it with sand. Entire project took about six hours and 5 yards of sand with me doing the work by myself. Without the BX to shuttle the sand around it would have been a lot harder.

This side I just spread the sand on today. This picture is just it raked in and not smoothed with the leveling tool.

View attachment 664188

I did the exact same thing to the other half of the yard two days ago and it has already grown in this much.

View attachment 664189

I can稚 wait until I get to mow again and see what a difference it made.

It's always worked for greens keepers :thumbsup:

/ Anyone level their lawn with sand? #3  
   / Anyone level their lawn with sand? #4  
yes. you don't say what type turf you're running, but my Zoysia likes masonry sand for fill-ins. Doesn't introduce weeds like dirt could/would.

/ Anyone level their lawn with sand?
It is celebration bermuda.

/ Anyone level their lawn with sand? #6  
Looks good!

How did you spread and rake it?

I dumped small piles across the yard with the BX and then used these.

6C4A7F43-696E-426E-A3D8-1F6FD565214B.jpeg

I actually spread it around with the rake. The picture above is just with it being raked. After it is spread it needs to sit for a couple hours until it dries then I worked it in with the leveling tool. The leveling tool is useless when the sand is damp. It just clumps together.

/ Anyone level their lawn with sand? #8  
yes. you don't say what type turf you're running, but my Zoysia likes masonry sand for fill-ins. Doesn't introduce weeds like dirt could/would.

You can never be too carful about what's brought in. Sand in Texas often has sandburs or goat heads growing in it. I once bought concrete truck "washout" for road base and wound up with sandburs.

I had that concern but nothing some preemergent won’t take care of. That being said mowing at 1/2-3/4” every three days there are not many other plants that can survive.

/ Anyone level their lawn with sand? #10  
Learn something every day on TBN...

The sod in back is a little rough from gophers/moles and trenching...